Original ss dagger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original ss dagger?

Hello gent, my friend want to buy this dagger but I,m not sure that is original model. I like to know your opinion about this article. I know that the crossguard is from SA dgger.
    Thanks very much.

Last edited by victorbaule; 05-02-2009, 03:47 AM.

I'm afraid I don't hold too much faith in the blade, it appears to be poorly finished and the motto appears to be incorrect as well from what I can see. Do you have better pics of the motto etch? The 1936 mark on the tang is interesting. The 1936 forge mark is usually raised out of the tang and associated with post-war manufacture, the one you show is stamped which is peculiar.

I think you're going to need some good detailed pics for a clear opinion tho...

Red

Comment

It looks like the blade/tang junction may have been worked to fit the crossguard which maybe from an SA dagger, as it is group marked W although i understand some SS daggers were marked this way as well

Comment

Yep, the blade's a fake, yet another Spanish blade... sorry, there seems to be so many of these popping up at the moment. With regard to the Gau stamp, SS daggers were not issued with Gau stampings as far as I'm aware, however period examples are found. It is possible they were swapped parts during the period or repairs, but there was also plenty of post-war parts swapping and resoration using SA parts.

Red

Comment

Thanks very much, Gary and Zander for your apreciate opinions

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
          X