GermanMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any thoughts about maker unmarked 2nd luft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any thoughts about maker unmarked 2nd luft?

Hello to you all,

I just bought a 2nd luft dagger that has no maker's logo.
    Are there any points that can lead to who made it?

The dagger came from Canada through the e-stand a while ago.

The point of the blade is reshaped.
    Any help is very welcome!

All the best, Eric

According to Wittmann's book, most of your dagger parts are of WKC "Generic" manufacture. WKC sold parts to other manufacturers so it would be difficult to determined who, for certain, actually assembled the dagger.
    Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Hello Larry,

Thank you for the information!
      All the best, Eric

Comment

I have the identical dagger, except mine has the double twisted brass grip wire. Beside that, identical. Indeed, a WKC dagger. I suspect the inside of your daggers grip is plaster filled (not that there's any reason to find out.....disassembly can be the death of a dagger).

Looks nice. Give her blade a nice lite waxing with museum grade wax for protection and preservation. Also, be sure to keep an eye on that grip ferrule. She's got some external rust, and there's a high probability that there's rust on the inside of the ferrule, between the grip recess and the ferrule itself. Just monitor the rust spots, and at what rate oxidation is occurring. You made need to perform some "preventative medicine" at some point. I just went through a very long process of medicine to ensure the life of a nice ASSO Heer dagger I bought recently. Due to long term storage in a damp environment by the vet, rust and odixation was taking ti's toll. Luckily, I recognized all the objective signs and symptoms and acted. Both internal, and external clean-up and rust removal, and of course sealed with a coat of wax. The alloy composite which this examples fittings are made from are quite resiliant and shouldn't give you much trouble over the years. Just watch some of the other parts, not made from aluminum alloy. The ferrous metals will gravitate toward rusting.

The application of correct preservation techniques will help ensure the long, healthy life of the antique. It took me around 18 hours total to work the Army I had described.

Nice score, just take care of her.

t
        Last edited by SwordFish; 03-10-2009, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Looks like a WKC type to me, i had a unmarked one awhile ago i got from Tom Wittmann, regards Johnno.

Comment

Hello Swordfish and johnno,

Thank you both for your replies.

I will take care of the blade and ferulle!

Now I need some hangers and a troddel
            All the best, Eric

Comment

I has seen one for sale on either Wittmanns site or Johnsons site, absolutely identical to mine. had the 2 strand, twisted grip wire, as opposed to the springy type like on this example.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
              X