Engraved Army Dagger Puma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engraved Army Dagger Puma

Just like to show one of our latest local finds. Double engraved Puma army with regiment number on back side. Has an unusual eagle fitting, fittings appear to be heavy silver plated as well. I took photos without flash in a dark room. The background is more of a light grey / silver, not dark.

Tony
    Last edited by sabersandsuch; 03-08-2009, 07:55 PM.

Originally posted by sabersandsuch View Post
    Just like to show one of our latest local finds. Double engraved Puma army with regiment number on back side. Has an unusual eagle fitting, fittings appear to be heavy silver plated as well.

Tony
    Where is it ?

Cant see the dagger.
    LH

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

I'd be a little concerned about the etch quality on this one.

Comment

The etching is extremely high quality, very crisp. The photos make it a little grainy due to size. Thank you for the comment, any others?
                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Tony,

I hate to do it but I have to agree with Barry on this one, I have some concerns about the etch. Is the Puma mark that much off center or is it a trick of the light? Would be very interested to hear what some of the more sage members have to say on it.

Comment

Hello,

Yes the Puma s that far off. If you take a look at the grip shot, it shows the true detail of the engraving. i agree with you guys on the quality, but please don't discount this piece yet, my photos plain out blow. I can't get a good clear shot that does this thing justice. Let me take a few more sets in the next day or so and repost them. Will anyone be at the Maryland show?

Thanks again
                        Tony

Comment

I am sorry, but I'm not a fan either. The etch is very poorly executed on this blade toward the tip, as seen in pic. #2. That has nothing to do with the quality of your pics. As an owner of an original, but admittedly unengraved puma dagger, you fittings are pretty far off. My maker mark is also not etched, it is stamped. I only know of 2 period puma marks and both are shown in Wittman's book. One is the one I have, and I cant remember if the 2nd is etched or stamped. I dont have my book handy, so maybe someone else can help us out with that. This maker did not produce their own fittings, but did purchase standard "generic" army fittings that are pretty consistent throught their production. My vet-purchased, textbook Puma setup does not match yours. Could you please disassemble the dagger to show us the tang? If you really feel that this is an original rig, that might help put some doubts to rest. I hope the rest of us are wrong, but I have some doubt.

Best,
                          Josh

Comment

Ecthing is a fake

Comment

I would like to see more pictures, but that etch is way off center as is the trademark,, and the crossguard is an Alcoso High Lift.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X