RLM marked 98 / 05 Butcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RLM marked 98 / 05 Butcher

Hello folks. I recently came into a pretty large group of edged weapons, and among them I found a couple very nice 98/05 "Butcher" type bayonets. This example originally had a saw-back spine that was removed prior to the blade being blued. The entire bayonet has a nice blue finish, and the spine-markings are mostly gone. There is however, a large "R.L.M" stamp (ReichsLuftMinisterium-I presume) on the side opposite the maker's mark (Waffenfabrik Mauser). Additionally, there's a small "X" stamped into the half-moon rifle barrel (ring) cut. The scabbard is un-marked w/ the exception of a three digit serial number stamped into the ball finial. Would this qualify as a Weimar era piece? My assumption is that it would pre-date the III Reich in this configuration. By the way, sorry 'bout the crappy photos...lighting here leaves a lot to be desired. Thanks!
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Milton,

You have a proper rework for the Reichs Luft Ministerium. This was the cover name for the resurgent Luftwaffe so I would say your bayonet is really a Weiimar - NS Zeit bayonet.

Comment

Thanks Schupo. Appreciate it! In your opinion, would an Imperial vintage frog have been utilized w/ this piece?

Comment

Yes, it could have been carried over from Imperial times along with the bayonet.

Comment

Thanks again!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X