A New Bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A New Bayonet

Hello I recently picked up this long type stag horn bayonet. The blade is close to mint but it's hard to get a good image. The frog is excellent and the scabbard has about 80% of it's paint. The TM wasn't stamped very deep but it's WFP. Some worn areas on the hilt. The rear grip looks great but the front grip must have been exposed to the sun for years. Is there any way to bring back a stag grip? Thanks Kirby
    Attached Files

As you can see the back grip is much nicer.
    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice

That's a very nice staghorn dress bayonet. I would imagine Renwaxing the staghorn would not hurt it. First of all, I would clean it up with a fine cloth to remove any and all dust.

JAN

Comment

Hi Kirby,

We don't see this mark too often. I would agree with you that the obverse stag must have been exposed to sunlight which resulted in the bleaching. It doesn't ruin it though IMO. Only the 2nd "WFP" that I've seen in stag. Still looking to identify the mark too. Of the nonstag pieces I've owned/seen, all were early production. The long version I still have has a 10 1/4" blade as well & has a mint blade although the grip plates leave a little to be desired.
        Attached Files

Comment

HELLO JAN, BILLY Thank for the info. The blade on this one is 10 1/8 inches. Kirby

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
          X