Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA Question

Hello all...
    As a new collector I'm just trying to broaden my knowledge a little.. I have what ,to some, may seem a daft question, so apologies........but.......Were all SA blade mottos put in the same position on the blade ( i.e the distance from the lower crossguard to the beginning of the motto )or did this vary between makers?

Cheers
    Steve

Hi Steve, not a daft question at all... All standard SA daggers will typically have the motto positioned about 25-28mm from the crossguard, Rohm daggers by Eickhorn place the motto about 35-38mm from the crossguard. The etch templates were applied by hand so there are often slight differences even within the same manufacturer. The same principle holds true with SS dagger mottos except there are several makers of dedication blades that also position the motto further from the crossguard. You will see the same on Himmler daggers, also produced by Eickhorn.

I have not seen any standard SA daggers with the motto positioned further from the crossguard, but it is perhaps possible. In any event I would use this as a solid red flag.

This is a very important factor in identifying fake daggers as the repros frequently have the motto placed towards the centre of the blade, often 35-50mm from the crossguard.

Red

Comment

Other Rohm makers besides Eickhorn placed the motto lower on the blade.

Comment

Thank you very much for the info...without knowing it you mention the very dagger type that I had in mind....I have just increased my collection ,and now have.... two SA's !!...
        My recent aquisition is a factory ground Rohm dagger by Eickhorn and the lower blade motto worried me somewhat, however, the motto is 38mm from the crossguard which falls within what you have advised

Many thanks for your replies

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
        X