when storing bayonets-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when storing bayonets-

whats the general opinion when storing a bayonet?

in, or out of the scabbard ????

my thought, its IN the scabbard might hold in moisture,

out of the scabbard takes up more space, more likely to be bumped / knocked off the area / dropped

just wondering what you all do.

Just speaking for myself, I keep etched bayonets out of the scabbard so as not to add runner marks to the etch. Plain bladed bayonets I keep in the scabbards mostly because space is at a premium in my place. Figure it this way, if the scabbard is dry & your leather buffer is in place, they should be fine. Look at it this way, they've been stored in the scabbard for 65+ years with little relative damage so far.

Comment

Hmm

I personally prefer removing them from scabbards (not forgetting to label which scabbard belongs to which bayonet). I think that you will do better applying some protective layer to your blades like RenWax and keep them separate. Much like BillyG said, I do not like to add further runner marks to the blades.

JAN

Comment

any other opinions?

Comment

If you are talking about the combat type K98, in the scabbard is just fine for me, but that's me. The worst days are behind a bayonet once a collector gets them.
          Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Head to the conservation area, and do a search on storing daggers/knives. You will see alot of pros and cons on storage ways. It's best to conduct your own research before you act on any storage methods. There are a lot of good and poor storage method that can be use. Some methods can cause major moisture damage. First thing to do is moniter humidity levels. Once that is controlled then look for preserving for the next 5-10 years, or selecting items that can give you longer range. Paul

Comment

For both long term and short term storage, i vote for out.

Do a search, there is alot of literature for both sides of the argument on just about every forum.

Tom

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
              X