Which Edged Weapon Book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Edged Weapon Book?

With so many books on this topic I'm not sure which one would be the best for my first purchase.

I was looking at Collectors’ Handbook of WW2 German Daggers, New Revised Third Edition due to cost, pages, and a chapter on fakes. What's your take?
    found here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Field-Price-Guid...QQcmdZViewItem

any recommendations?

Thanks for your help,
    Brian

This book is fine if you wish to identify a dagger or the issuing organisation/service but lacks sufficient information(IMO) to determine the quality or originality of a prospective purchase.I learnt the hard way that books like Tom Wittmann's 'Exploring the Dress Daggers series and FJ Stephen's ' Reproduction and Recognition' can more than justify their cost by increasing your knowledge and,hopefully,avoiding costly mistakes.
    My advice would be buy and study the books first then buy your first dagger.

Comment

Match a book to a dagger.

Hi Brian,

I'd suggest two things.

First, plan on buying the Whittmann series as Kiloh has suggested. They are the best around in my opinion.

Second, unless you have the funds to buy the set all at once, determine which type of dagger you want to collect first then get the corresponding book in the series, study it, then buy.

One of our members here, Paul Hogle, known as lakesidetrader, has them for sale on his site. He is also know as a seller of quality daggers. He offers a discount on the books when you buy a dagger from him. Here is a link to his site. You can see the books at the top of each section. I've just chosen the Heer page but you can view the others as well...

http://www.lakesidetrader.com/Army.html

Welcome to WAF and I wish you luck with your dagger collecting.

Regards,
      Stu

Comment

Thank you both for your insight. so it's +2 for Whittmann.

I will check Pauls site...

Thanks
        Brian

Comment

Brian, as far as the Repo/Reg book buy them both. sounds crazy but worth it. If you buy Bowmans book let me know I have a copy of Tom W's comments on that book it points out the errors and the missing bits and whats just wrong with the books chapters(several) drop me an email as I never check my pm's here. As always the tom johnson series is great! start with #1 and work your way up The authors both tom's if purchasing from them will sign the book for you, kind of a small bonus!!! I also would buy the "wearing of" series by Tom J also. I was so dismayed this winter as to an un-named fellow not helping out a collector on an etched bayo that I purchased wayne T's book. also a good source. I only own one named and etched bayo but was happy with the book. The best advise i can ever give a new collector is go to shows and get as much hands on time as you can. you will see then the good and bad this hobby has to offer. Books are the cornerstone of any collection be it horsebits to fish decoys, but looking at the stuff 1st hand will get your blood boiling. Drop me an email if you would like Wittmans updates for the Bowman book. goodluck
          Bret Van Sant

Comment

if anyone has a copy of “Exploring the Dress Daggers and Swords of the German SS, Volume Four” by Wittmann that they would like to sell- Please contact me!

Thanks
            Brian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X