trashed SS dagger in pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trashed SS dagger in pieces

I had this trashed dagger with a rusted out blade with only a tad of the motto left. When I rubbed off the rust, I could just make out a faint RZM maker mark (or so I thought when I looked at it out of focus). the tang broke at the pommel nut. Then I saw the handle had been mickey moused with some sponge like material to accomodate ill fitting cross guards. So I know it is trashed and a parts piece. But is all authentic parts? Or could some of it be real?
    Of interest to me was the tang having a raised "W" on it and the cross guards having a stamped "E" and "L" inside and seem to have some decent metal in their composition.
    Also a "W" is stamped on the wooden handle where it is hidden by the lower cross guard.

All help will be appreciated.
    Thanks, Michael
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Michael Fay; 08-29-2008, 01:58 AM. Reason: add

pix 2

pix 2
    Attached Files

Comment

pix 3

pix 3
      Attached Files

Comment

pix 4

pix 4
        Attached Files

Comment

pix 5

pix 5
          Attached Files

Comment

pix 6

pix 6
            Attached Files

Comment

pix 8

pix8
              Attached Files

Comment

pix 9

pix 9
                Attached Files

Comment

pix 10

pix 10

Any comments to give info on this broken group will be welcome.
                  Attached Files

Comment

if the handle is authentic SS then it was a stained black version. As it was so utterly trashed I tossed the handle in a bowl of olive oil (in a desperate attempt and wood rehabilitation...how could it hurt at this stage)and some of the pigment floated off before my eyes after a day, the oil also brought out the stamping on the wood handle, whether that means anything, I dont know.
                    Last edited by Michael Fay; 08-29-2008, 01:59 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hello dagger forum,
                      does any one want to give me an idea as to the authenticity of this SS dagger?
                      I really dont know for sure.
                      thanks

Comment

It seems authentic to me. Not worth anything money wise...

How did you happen to come accross it?

Brian

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by b_vanfossen View Post
                          It seems authentic to me. Not worth anything money wise...

How did you happen to come accross it?

Brian
                          Thanks Brian,
                          I needed some one to SAY somthing
                          So I do appreciate it

I got it the most ordinary way...at a local gun show a few years ago. It was not broken yet, but the blade was almost fully rotted out with rust, so it was priced accordingly.
                          I just lost some confidence after the tang broke and I found the foam/sponge application to make the cross guard fit snugly.
                          So I knew someday I would need input from others(like WAF)

thanks again for your answering me.

Comment

Well, an anonymous member believes them to real. I thank this member for privately telling me.
                            If no one else says anything. Then I guess the "it is real" option is a fact.
                            If anyone has an opinion, I still welcome it.

Comment

Michael
                              For whatever its worth I think it is very much real.
                              I found one in the newspaper when I first started collecting in the early 80s in the very same condition.
                              The man was using it as a garden spade, until someone told him "It Was Worth Alot Of Money".
                              The tang can be repaired and put back together. Thats what I would do.
                              I wouldnt over restore it. Just reassemble it after tig welding a new piece of metal on the tip and run a tap on it.
                              I personally like project like this, its fun project to do. I guess its my hot rod roots.
                              Good luck with it whatever you choose to do

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X