Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI Sword, Etched, Cavalry Reg.. Information Please

Hello Fellows:

This is my WWI or earlier Sword with an acid etched Cav Charge and inscription.

Inscription reads King Humbert Of Italy, Husaren Reg. etc.

Any information on this unit and the date of it's stationing in germany would be appreciated. I am asssuming it was loaned prior to WWI by said Humbert of Italy. I am not aware of action during the War.

Oh yes, one other thing, what is a proper value for this piece. I am not planning on selling it, but would like to know.

Rich
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Eickhorn

Eickhorn
        Attached Files

Comment

Rich,

What you have is a Prussian Cavalry Saber Model 1889, also known as a KD 89. This is a standard issue German weapon that really has nothing to do with it comming from Italy.

Many pre-war German Regiments had honorary colonels as titular heads of a specific unit. Often these Colonels were foreign royals or princes whose name was used in the Regiment's full title.

On your sword the King Humberto of Italy etch denotes that he was the Honorary Colonel of what looks to be the 1st Hessian(?) Hussars No. 13.

The No.13 in the inscription denotes the unit's precedence in the German Army. Among 19 Hussaren Regiments, the 1st Hessian was 13th in promenance.

The KD89 was authorized for wear by both officer and 'other' ranks of Hussars. Generally though Hussar officers usually wore more elaborate private purchase swords instead of this plainer 'government issue' style.

Hope this helps some.

It looks to be a fairly nice example.

Tony
          An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Better Pics

Better Pics
            Attached Files

Comment

Image 2 should be first.. The caption is split in two parts.
              Attached Files

Comment

3 whole thing
                Attached Files

Comment

Tiger I or anyone.. What does KURHESS mean in this inscription>>?????

Thanks, Rich

Comment

Rich,

Great pics.

Kurhess. looks to be an abreviation. Definately refering to Hesse. All I can think of is that Hesse was not a kingdom but a lesser state such as a duchy (dukedom?) or something similar. Maybe one of our German speaking members can give us a better explanation.

Tony.

Comment

Hussar Regiment King Umberto of Italy (1st Electoral Hessian) No.13 Founded (1813)Garrison(Diedenhofen) Corps (16th) (blue)? Kurhess (Heavy Cavalry Hessian)?

Comment

Rich,

Some more things I found rooting around in my references.

The Hussars and Cuirassiers (Heavy Cavalry) are two different types of cavalry formations.

The 13th thru 16th Hussar regiments were formed after the Prussian victory of the Seven Weeks War against Austria in 1866.

The 13th Hussars were formed from the former Electorate Hessian Life Hussar regiment (Kur-Hessisches Leib Husaren Regiment) which was itself originally formed in 1813. The home garrison was as Dr. Dolch stated in Diedenhofen.

The 13th Regiment Standard (the 1860/1888 model) was presented to the Regiment on June 24th, 1867. The 13th Hussar Regiment Standard was entitled to fly the following steamers, 1870/71 with 15 battle bars and the 1900 streamer.

A normal Hussar Regiment's strength in 1914 was optimally 26 officers, 83 NCOs, 1 band master, 15 trumpeters with 5 assistant trumpeters, 110 lance corporals, 522 hussars and 726 horses. Not included in these figures were the officer's horses, a medical officer, medical NCOs, veterinary officer and assistants, farriers, Armorer, paymaster, cooks etc.

Another interesting tidbit is that the 13th Regiment's Colonel in Chief, King Humbert of Italy was assasinated on July 29th, 1900.

From August 11th, 1900 King Victor Emmanual III of Italy became the next and last Colonel in Chief of the 13th Hussars.

What wealth of information springs from a simple line etched on a sword blade.

All the best,

Tony

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X