Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K98 combat bayonet question.

Quick one:

I have a K98 bayonet with a blade that has never been sharp.
    It's impossible to cut yourself on this one.

What do I think of this?

Thanks,
    Pierre

Thankgoodness

Thank goodness that It had not been sharpened.. Collectors want them unsharpened and matching...They were not a knife but a bayonet for a stabbing thrust into the enemy.....BILL

Comment

Thanks! Sorry for sounding like a dumbass, I have very little experience of bayonets.

I really expected some kind of factory sharpening pre the blueing process, seeing as the blade is shaped like a knife and not a spike bayonet.

I suppose this could explain why the blade is in so much better shape than the rest of the bayonet. The poor landser lugged it around but never had use for it!

I'll post pictures once my I get my camera up and running.
      The bayonet and scabbard do have matching numbers.

Thanks again,
      Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Schick
        Thanks! Sorry for sounding like a dumbass, I have very little experience of bayonets.

I really expected some kind of factory sharpening pre the blueing process, seeing as the blade is shaped like a knife and not a spike bayonet.

I suppose this could explain why the blade is in so much better shape than the rest of the bayonet. The poor landser lugged it around but never had use for it!

I'll post pictures once my I get my camera up and running.
        The bayonet and scabbard do have matching numbers.

Thanks again,
        Pierre
        Sounds like a nice bayonet
        Regards Lassi

Comment

As already commented on 98K bayonets from the factory were not sharpened. Sometimes they are found sharpened. And there has been an ongoing discussion as to whether or not German soldiers ever did it. While there are some who feel they did, period evidence authorizing sharpening seems lacking. And there is some evidence that GI’s or postwar users not Germans might be the ones who did some of the sharpening from the way some of the bayonets are found.

The WWII U.S. M-4 and later bayonets were all factory sharpened (and a large number of other types/other nations). So I think that the question for specific bayonets has to be looked at individually as to whether or not they were factory sharpened - but the 98K bayonets are not in that group. FP

Comment

Hello Pierre, could You send more details about Your bayonet, please. We need the maker or code,date and the serial number with letter to our dbase. Certainly to sample, prewar czechoslovakian Vz.24 bayonets were sharpened by date of mobilization, But only they , that was destined for service,but is not a razor shape like seen on some postwar bayonets 98k.best regards,Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Frogprince
              As already commented on 98K bayonets from the factory were not sharpened. Sometimes they are found sharpened. And there has been an ongoing discussion as to whether or not German soldiers ever did it. While there are some who feel they did, period evidence authorizing sharpening seems lacking. And there is some evidence that GI’s or postwar users not Germans might be the ones who did some of the sharpening from the way some of the bayonets are found.

The WWII U.S. M-4 and later bayonets were all factory sharpened (and a large number of other types/other nations). So I think that the question for specific bayonets has to be looked at individually as to whether or not they were factory sharpened - but the 98K bayonets are not in that group. FP
              As to the sharpening of German bayonets. I can say, on good authority (from an 85 year old German friend of mine who was a "Waffenmeister" in the Heer) that it was against military regulations (actually "Verboten", as my friend puts it) for any German soldier to sharpen his bayonet and was a punishable offense which also included a fine. So, IMO, if a bayonet is found which is sharpened, it was most likely not done by the German soldier but done so by a later owner.

Regards,

Chuck

Comment

Originally posted by vonStubben
                As to the sharpening of German bayonets. I can say, on good authority (from an 85 year old German friend of mine who was a "Waffenmeister" in the Heer) that it was against military regulations (actually "Verboten", as my friend puts it) for any German soldier to sharpen his bayonet and was a punishable offense which also included a fine. So, IMO, if a bayonet is found which is sharpened, it was most likely not done by the German soldier but done so by a later owner.

Regards,

Chuck
                Chuck dont disagree with the waffenmeister he knew the rules; however, very small instances of WH soldiers sharpened bayonets their bayonets if they had to cut up lets say a pig. Now with that said, most bayonets out there like FP said were done by the GI's post war. Great info you have provided and appreciate it! Get all the info you can from your Waffenmeister buddy that you can! Ask him if he had to renumber bayonets. Also if you could ask him if he remembers any bayonet shipments in early 1945...any comments on the bayonets from him would be appreciated! Guys like him wont be around for much longer.

Comment

Originally posted by phosphateb
                  Chuck dont disagree with the waffenmeister he knew the rules; however, very small instances of WH soldiers sharpened bayonets their bayonets if they had to cut up lets say a pig. Now with that said, most bayonets out there like FP said were done by the GI's post war. Great info you have provided and appreciate it! Get all the info you can from your Waffenmeister buddy that you can! Ask him if he had to renumber bayonets. Also if you could ask him if he remembers any bayonet shipments in early 1945...any comments on the bayonets from him would be appreciated! Guys like him wont be around for much longer.
                  Sorry it has taken me awhile to respond to this.

I will indeed ask him any questions forum members may ask. Please ask them now as I must contact him via telephone anymore as he has moved back to Canada seeing that he is no longer able to travel back and forth to Florida as he had for so many years. I want to ask him as much as I can in one call.

Regards,

Chuck

Comment

It would be great ask for more details about this piece, maker mark,date, serial number with letter, material of grips, WaA stamps, finish, matching with scabbard. Thanks, best regards,Andy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                    X