Eickhorn Ground Rohm Question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eickhorn Ground Rohm Question....

Sirs, Came across a couple of daggers in my travels today......One was an SA dagger made by Carl Eickhorn......Appears to be a complete inscription ground Rohm on the backside......Now I know Eickhorn made these, but did they distribute these without marking the crossguard with appropriate initials? This one is lacking any such mark......Condition of blade is very good......Handle has a big chip on the front which is about 1/4"-3/8" wide.......No hanger.....Nickel fittings.....Asking price is $250......Good price?...... Sound original?.......Any comments appreciated......Thanks,Bodes

You would actually expect to find the Rohm daggers devoid of Gruppe markings.
    There may be a single digit (referred to as a bench number) on the underside of the lower crossguard.

Photos are needed to determine what you really have but, if it is indeed an original ground Rohm SA in decent shape, it would be a very good deal @ $250.00. Be careful, though...sounds too good to be true.

Skip

Comment

Bodes, no way of telling without pics. If it's original it's a steal.

Comment

here is my factory ground Rohm.. or so I believe it to be. would you Guys agree or disagree. Glenn
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Brule
                Bodes, no way of telling without pics. If it's original it's a steal.
                Thanks Bernie and Skipper......Having just seen it in an antique shop, I am unable to get pictures ......My gut tells me it's original though......It has a well aged look to it......Cannot remember IF it has an anodized scabbard or not.....My only concerns were the chipped handle and lacking any distribution markings.......Thanks again.....Bodes

Comment

My gut tells me it's original though......It has a well aged look to it......
                  Be careful, I heard that they are grounding off the fake Rohm inscriptions and selling it as a genuine ground Rohm. In which case, ground Rohms are worth no more, or maybe even less, than unmessed with blades. My opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                    Be careful, I heard that they are grounding off the fake Rohm inscriptions and selling it as a genuine ground Rohm. In which case, ground Rohms are worth no more, or maybe even less, than unmessed with blades. My opinion.
                    Wizard, Thanks for the comment.....That was another one of my concerns.......Somebody making a "marriage" of original parts (or complete fake for that matter) and a fake blade.....Little grinding and viola, you have a desirable, rare, SA dagger.....Bodes

Comment

Please refresh my memory if I'm suffering from a senior moment at age 34, but I see to remember seeing gau marks on all the Rohms I can remember.

Comment

Also, the only "fake grinding" that should be of concern is the actual grinding of daggers that were NEVER Rohms to begin with. It's tragic, but some people have taken to grinding the reverse of a blade to sell it as a ground Rohm. It's not being done to "boost the price" by turning it into a ground Rohm, but more likely, to hide reverse blemishes in an otherwise nice blade. The reasoning goes that it'd be better (more lucrative) to sell a ground rohm than a standard SA or SS with blemishes caused by age and wear. On the other hand, when "they" grind a spurious inscription, they turn the already-questionable blade into a partial ground, having obscured the "problematic" features of the inscription. Of course, the bulk of these spurious blades are Eickhorn marked blades, and the TM is in the wrong place anyway (being too far away from the crossguard).

Comment

Craig,

You're right...I misspoke in my post re the Gau marks. Firast, I referred to them as Gruppe marks (which they are not!) and secondly, I should have said that the absence of a Gau mark is not necessarily indicative of a bad piece. When I re-read my post, it suggests that most did not have them which is not true.

Thanks for keeping me straight!
                          Skip

Comment

Skip: Your knowledge regarding edged weapons is certainly superlative as far as I am concerned! As a matter of interest, I have seen one or two SS Rohm daggers/Ground Rohm daggers void of Group/Gau marks, which I believed to be 100% original. I have no explanation for this anomaly.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                            X