1st pattern Luft dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st pattern Luft dagger

Can I get some feedback on this please? I have received a number of items in trade that I intend to place on the e-stand but need to have checked out first. This is a very nice looking dagger but I don't have any real experience with daggers so I await the opinions of those more knowledgeable.
    One odd thing is that the springs that retain the dagger are loose in the scabbard and I don't see what they are supposed to be attached to.

Steve
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

The parts look OK based on what I see, but the scabbard does not match the condition and age of the dagger. Looks like a swtitched scabbard at a minimum.
              Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

The chain assembly absolutely is not original to the dagger. That early Eick MM should be matched with a very early nickel chain assembly. As said earlier the whole scabbard may not be original to the dagger, but I know for sure the chain isn't.
                www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

Picture #2 makes me agree with Jeff. The poor alignment of the dagger to the scabbard indicates a mismatched pair.
                  Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Agreed...most likely a 'put together' combination. The hell of it is, it may well have come home from the war like that or it could have been put together yesterday. There's really no way to tell for sure.

I'd save my money, though.

Sorry,
                    Skip

Comment

The early Eickhorn mark on the blade matches the early nickel-silver of the handle fittings (nice gold remaining). Hard to tell if the scabbard fittings are early like the handle or mid-period plated types. The aluminum chain is certainly a replacement. Are there any markings on the throat of the scabbard?

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Herc1
                        Are there any markings on the throat of the scabbard?

Scott
                        No, there are no markings on the throat.

Comment

Don't want to beat a dead horse here but I there is something out of place with that scabbard, I just checked my archives and these early Eickhorns had headless mounting hardware on the scabbard. Jeff was right on with his 1st reply, the scabbard has been switched.
                          www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

For what it is worth I concur with what has already been said.
                            At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Good catch on the scabbard screws - I missed that error.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                              X