new Jacobs! SS dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new Jacobs! SS dagger

Recently got this beauty so thought I'd put it up for display. Blade was graded NM and all parts fit together appropriately. Both cross guards and pommel are non-magnetic so I'd think they're nickel-silver being they're so shiny?. All parts of the scabbard are magnetic. I wanted to loosen the pommel nut 1/4 turn (by hand..wouldn't budge) to accommodate humidity changes plus there's a bit of damage at the top grip-guard interface. Would this be a good idea? Thanks for any thoughts!

No pix ?

Comment

They were up, disappeared, and now have shown up again. Maybe the new system? IDK...

Comment

Nope, no pics...

Comment

1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg 5.jpeg 6.jpeg Trying again to get pics loaded...
          Last edited by itchyjoe; 07-01-2020, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Joe--this is a very special SS dagger; congratulations.

Comment

very nice congrats

Comment

Cool piece man

Comment

I appreciate the nice comments, and thanks to the other 200+ for looking! I did loosen the pommel nut without damage and will keep it finger snug..will not disassemble though. Correcting what I originally said, only the scabbard body is magnetic-the upper & lower fittings (locket/chape?) are not. Great board sponsors here to support...my shopping list is growing, regards!

Comment

That's a beauty.

Comment

A very nice dagger, especially the grip; don't see many in that fine of condition. This is not the earliest of SS pieces. The scabbard appears to be a re-paint; with a dropped/crushed tip ball, there would normally be some scratches to the scabbard body...but I don't see any...

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                        A very nice dagger, especially the grip; don't see many in that fine of condition. This is not the earliest of SS pieces. The scabbard appears to be a re-paint; with a dropped/crushed tip ball, there would normally be some scratches to the scabbard body...but I don't see any...

Br. James
                        Thanks Ralph & Br. James, I also wonder about age and figure it's 1935 at the latest since there's no RZM stamp. Some do have RZM..so those would be 1936 on? And hard to tell if the scabbard is re-painted; if so it's quite awhile ago. Only one of the screws has a dink on it and there's years of grime along the edges of the upper/lower fittings and under the hanger. Attached are closer pics which show plenty of scrapes. Guess we'll probably never know why these were made and how many. IMG_2008.jpeg IMG_2009.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post

Br. James
                          The scabbard isn't painted--it is blued/annodized and lacquered, as it should be. It is just the photos.

Also--what makes you say this is not the earliest type of SS pieces? there are 5 variations of ! maker marks and rzm marks. The maker marked pieces show everything I would expect on early pieces, whereas the rzm pieces, even though often solid nickel, show slightly lower quality construction.

Comment

I am surprised to see these dots on the blade, is it acid spoil?

Also, some parts of the cross-grain appear to be "scratchy" or is it just in the pictures?

Best regards,

Victorman
                            Attached Files

Comment

Some better, preferably in good natural lighting are needed IMO to sort out what is and what is not there. Blade discolorations are seen in some of the other pictures, and in some it really does look more like paint on the scabbard versus blueing. FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X