Damascus Presentation 1st Luft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damascus Presentation 1st Luft

Hey guys... I have a quick question: There is a fellow I'm working a trade with and he offered up a KILLER damascus presentation 1st mod. Luft dagger.

What do I look for in a fake blade? The fittings and all look great, so does the blade, but I know the fakes are really good.

One thing I noticed is that the demascus pattern was in a circle form...repeated over and over down the blade, so I assumed it was an "artificial' type demascus.

On top of that, it had Goring's name as the presenter I assume.

Any info would be great, sorry...no pics at this time.

Skip Pickett

Without photos, this is tough. I very much doubt that Goring ever presented an artificial Damascus. However, from your description, it could be a peacock pattern Damascus blade. Still, just from what you've said, I'd proceed with caution.
    Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Skip,if you haven't done it already, check out Tom Wittmann's book on Luft Daggers, that should help. Sounds interesting, if you could get pics that would be great...Cheers...Jeff

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the ideas and input. I have Mr. W's books and I'll check it out...why didn't I think of that?

Even if I don't do the trade, I'll try and get some pics for reference.

Skip

Comment

Skip: It's almost certainly a reproduction - there is a whole series of artificial damascus daggers bearing dedications, and they include a script signature of Goering as part of the motif. And yes, they are always artificial damascus. I have several photographed for my upcoming book with Fred Stephens. If I can remember, I'll post a photo of one when I get into work tomorrow. The only "however" is that I have yet to see a first luft with this pattern presentation. I've seen hunting pieces, and 2nd lufts. So we'd love to see photos for sure!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the post Craig. After looking at the dagger again, I passed on it. AND the fellow did not want to stand behind it if it were fake!!! That is all I needed to hear.

Skip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
            X