EdelweissAntique

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Eickhorn SA; ground Rohm? opinions please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice indeed, what a good score, how much did you pick it up for.

Comment

It cost $300; not a steal but I thought it was a decent price.

Originally posted by nellyp51
      Very nice indeed, what a good score, how much did you pick it up for.

Comment

Hi Harvey, that was a very fair price I think

I have a ground SA Rohm too, but mine was once used as a hammer . But it was free
        I had always wanted one since I first started collecting as a teenager. Ron mentions a good tip; mine is benchmarked with a number "2".

Cheers, Ade.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Adrian and all others,

Free is an extremely good price; at that price I would purchase all the TR stuff in the world.

I've looked for a bench mark but can't find one. I thought the bench mark indicated that some factory ground the inscription off. Couldn't my dagger be a ground Rohm, even without a bench mark, if it were ground somewhere besides in a factory? Since I first posted this I've looked at photos of partially ground Rohms and compared the inscriptions to my blade. To me there's no doubt that there are traces of a Rohm inscription on my dagger. Too bad the scabbard runners did so much damage.

Harvey

Comment

Hi Harvey

I've got an Eickhorn Ground Rohm which is almost identical to yours, also with a few letter remnants. Mine was also not a factory grind, so no benchmark stamp. Yours looks like a classic Eickhorn, the TM is right... smaller and close to the crossguard, so it looks good to me.

I believe these homegrinds with remant letters were called lazy Rohms, so not all of them have the benchmark number.

Nice buy!

Red

Comment

Hey Ron - Not all original Rohm Eickhorns have the benchmark. I have heard a few theories on that, what's your take?
              Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Eickhorn Bench Mark

Yes, I know some Eickhorns exist without a bench mark and are original, but not for my collection. Even early made Eickhorns with the large TM or the ones with the odd motto have the bench mark or assembler's bench mark. My question is, since all Rohms were made in a very short period of 1934, why would some be without a bench mark?
                Ron Weinand
                Weinand Militaria

Comment

Red, the bench mark was put on the crossguard when it was assembled as a Rohm, not when it was re-ground and the inscription removed at the factory.
                  Ron Weinand
                  Weinand Militaria

Comment

Ron - If you know they exist without benchmarks why would you not have one in your collection? This has been discussed at GDC.

http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/...986#3963019986

If vet acquiring is the standard, then I directly acquired a Rohm SA from the SA member's own daughter along with over 200 of his photos, some award documents and a few of his SA/party badges. His SA was the small logo, serated tail and without a benchmark or Gau mark.

Comment

Ron,

Could you please post a photo of one of these bench marks. Maybe mine has it and I just don't know what I'm looking for.

Harvey

Comment

Harvey - Don't have a photo handy. Point the dagger blade at your face. Just to the right or left of where the blade fits into the crossguard the number will rest (0-9). Like I said, 100% legit Rohm's do not have the benchmark.

Comment

Here's a couple photos of the number "8" benchmark on my Himmler dagger. I had to slightly loosen the tang screw as it was almost covered by the blade .
                          Attached Files
                          Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Here is mine Harvey.

Cheers, Ade.
                            Attached Files

Comment

A little better photo of the mark itself.
                              Attached Files
                              Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Thanks for all the good information, this has been very instructive for me. My dagger does not have one of those marks; it would be nice if it did but I'm still pretty happy with my purchase.

Harvey

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                                X