Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 SS Daggers Numbered on Crossguard

Hello

These 2 daggers just came into my possession.

Are the serial numbers on these 2 daggers traceable?

Thanks very much in advance.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Mudd View Post

Are the serial numbers on these 2 daggers traceable?
    Not listed to officers.

I guess you bought these before checking the numbers ?

Comment

First I’ll say that I don’t know for certain if the numbers are period stamped or not, probably few things in collecting can be as difficult to say for sure than numbers stamped on SS crossguards with period dies. A couple of observations below:

1. The dies and work looks very similar and also not so typical of the majority of valid examples. This does not prove they are bogus stamps but does give some pause.
      2. RZM example is way late to be under order to be stamped much less being Rohm piece. Not all orders were followed but this is very much an outlier.
      3. The SS number on the 37 dagger seems too low to date to 37 dated dagger. I think this number dates closer 1935. I guess there could be reasons a 37 made dagger came into possession but more explaining again. I see only 807 code dated 36. The 37 date may be OK or maybe not but I don’t recall seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge M. View Post
        Not listed to officers.

I guess you bought these before checking the numbers ?
        They came into my possession as stated in the 1st post. I did not buy them.
        Last edited by Mudd; 05-17-2020, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
          First I’ll say that I don’t know for certain if the numbers are period stamped or not, probably few things in collecting can be as difficult to say for sure than numbers stamped on SS crossguards with period dies. A couple of observations below:

1. The dies and work looks very similar and also not so typical of the majority of valid examples. This does not prove they are bogus stamps but does give some pause.
          2. RZM example is way late to be under order to be stamped much less being Rohm piece. Not all orders were followed but this is very much an outlier.
          3. The SS number on the 37 dagger seems too low to date to 37 dated dagger. I think this number dates closer 1935. I guess there could be reasons a 37 made dagger came into possession but more explaining again. I see only 807 code dated 36. The 37 date may be OK or maybe not but I don’t recall seeing it.
          Thank you for the reply Sir.

Something appeared to be askew that's why I brought them to the attention of the forum. The daggers themselves appear correct except for the numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudd View Post
            They came into my possession as stated in the 1st post. I did not buy them.
            So are you just interested in the numbers and not the actual authenticity of the daggers ?

If you are, I would give note to what phild posted, and make separate threads on each dagger, that is unless your convinced they are 100% period correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Serge M. View Post
              So are you just interested in the numbers and not the actual authenticity of the daggers ?

If you are, I would give note to what phild posted, and make separate threads on each dagger, that is unless your convinced they are 100% period correct.
              thank you for the reply. As time permits I will make 2 different threads.

Comment

I don't like the stampings on both-looks postwar to me!

Comment

Originally posted by tobau View Post

Comment

Originally posted by tobau View Post
                    I was thinking same

Comment

The fonts of the numbers DO NOT look period to me. I have been looking up SS numbers for over 40 years and these are not like any period pieces I have seen before IMO.

Comment

Concur with others, I do not like the numbers either, they appear to be the same font on both daggers, what are the chances of that??

Comment

That was my first thought that It looks like the same set of stamps was used on both daggers , highly unlikely .

Comment

They look bogus to me also. Posted is a private purchase bayonet that somebody added numbers to - presumably to sell for a higher price. What's interesting I think is that he or they used two different technologies to try and make it look "Germanic", that also includes the supposed "SS" Runes. I cannot say for certain given the low resolution, but it would not really surprise me that something like that was tried here. FP
                            Attached Files

Comment

Stupid how they go to the trouble of stamping numbers on it that are not listed to an officer ?, modern teep stamps anyway !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X