Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early Eickhorn pattern 1695 sword "SS numbered"

Hello Gents,

I recently acquired this early model Eickhorn pantherhead sword with silvered finish. It has numbers stamped on the hilt "10 110", which it this is authentic, returns to SS Gunther Pancke. I believe it stands a chance. The workmanship on the numbers is sloppy, but in speaking with Tom Wittmann, he also believes it stands a chance too. He stated that many did their own "handy-work" and obviously this guy did a poor job

I believe everything else is correct on it though. It would be in-line for the time for an early SS Officer. and it came with shoulder harness and hanger.

Thoughts???

Best,
    Thomas
    Attached Files

Nice early # 1695, with the head of the eagle facing to left instead of the right.
    Has a chance for sure, but you never can know for certain, anyway, nice sword.
    F. Thomas

Comment

Thanks Reichsword! I forgot to mention the collector I purchased from in the UK, stated he bought it with a Honor Degen and Dagger, which both had the same numbers on them

Comment

As Reichsword statet all is good. Eagle looks to the left and this is no problem.Otherwise, the collectors accteptance this typ swords classify for SS-members is very,very low-sorry!
        To much fakes are around with the result that this swords has a very little market with very low prices!-IMO!

Comment

Tobu- are you saying this type sword was not carried by SS officers before the 1936 Design?

Comment

Eickhorn did make a silver lionhead pantherhead sword for SS in master catalogs with full description parts used and model number etc...but this is not one of them..
            Original Eickhorn SS lionhead pantherhead models are super Rare. and to date only a handful have turned up that were originally made for the SS
            The sword pictured was not originally made by Eickhorn for the SS
            The story means nothing..
            Good luck
            Last edited by damasco; 03-22-2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by athomas View Post
              Tobu- are you saying this type sword was not carried by SS officers before the 1936 Design?
              Hi,
              no,i don't say this.Nobody knows,but the acceptance if this a real SS-members Sword is very low!
              I have had many SS-Swords,but never a one like this,because the originally pattern in gold coloured was an army Sword.I will say that the market for this types is low!

Comment

Hello and thanks for the replies so far.

damasco, do you know where I could find a picture of one of an original SS Eickhorn model you speak of?

Comment

Hello and thanks for the replies so far.

damasco, do you know where I could find a picture of one of an original SS Eickhorn model you speak of?
                  Yes, in private collections...

Comment

Damasco- that didn’t really help but ok...

I was under the impression this forum was to help collectors learn, not to throw out reasons why things are automatically wrong without reasons...

I’ve found plenty of early Eickhorn SS swords that were correct and in books. I enjoy learning, which is why I joined this forum. If it’s wrong, why is is wrong?

I don’t think Tom Wittmann would have said it was a good one if he didn’t have some experience with such things. Maybe someone unscrupulously added the numbers, but I don’t think that means that it’s automatically not an SS officer piece. Is the sword knot and hanger, and shoulder rig wrong too?

Sorry for the rant

Comment

Damasco- that didn’t really help but ok...

I was under the impression this forum was to help collectors learn, not to throw out reasons why things are automatically wrong without reasons...

I’ve found plenty of early Eickhorn SS swords that were correct and in books. I enjoy learning, which is why I joined this forum. If it’s wrong, why is is wrong?

I don’t think Tom Wittmann would have said it was a good one if he didn’t have some experience with such things. Maybe someone unscrupulously added the numbers, but I don’t think that means that it’s automatically not an SS officer piece. Is the sword knot and hanger, and shoulder rig wrong too?

Sorry for the rant
                      If the Eickhorn ones in the books as you say.. Look like the Eickhorn one you posted they are also incorrect..

Well you must have the wrong books ...
                      Also Tom made a mistake (IF) he told you this is a original Silver SS sword..( he also believes it stands a chance too.) is your quote of what Tom said... What ever TOO means
                      The window dressing with the sword does not make the sword a Silver SS by Eickhorn.. I don't care about the numbers on the sword.. Wrong model ..
                      These have been faked and altered by the 100s
                      Last edited by damasco; 03-23-2020, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Damasco,
                        If this is the wrong model, then what IS the correct model for an early SS officer sword??
                        That is what you have not been able to tell me. Just only that it is not correct. I’m looking for details.

I found this same model on lakeside traders website silver model 1695
                        The only difference is his has ruby eyes instead of green. I suppose his is not good either?

https://www.lakesidetrader.com/item.php?ID=20251

Thanks

Comment

Just my opinion but it looks to me like someone tried to cover up something and made a mess. Maybe a SS-Kulturzeichen stamp which should not be on a lion head.

Comment

Hey Dale,

Yea I saw that. In a closer inspection, it looks like a number that was jacked up and they tried to correct it.

Since some don’t believe I spoke to Mr Wittmann, here is what he said in the email;

Dear Mr. Thomas,

Thanks for the email and the pictures of the early Eickhorn Pattern 1695 sword with silvered finish and SS number stamped in the lower hilt. As you point out, it is a very sloppy job, but perhaps the original owner made this effort himself and was not so good with tools. As you know, though, the Germans stamped out a lot of engravings that were not applicable, so this kind of thing may not be that unusual.

I looked up the officer and he was an early SS member, so the time span works for having a sword with a logo from
                            this time.

I think the sword looks great, and seems to be extremely reasonably priced. So, go for it!

Best,

Thomas T. Wittmann

Comment

[QUOTE=athomas;8675995]Damasco,
                              If this is the wrong model, then what IS the correct model for an early SS officer sword??
                              That is what you have not been able to tell me. Just only that it is not correct. I’m looking for details.

I found this same model on lakeside traders website silver model 1695
                              The only difference is his has ruby eyes instead of green. I suppose his is not good either?

https://www.lakesidetrader.com/item.php?ID=20251

Thanks[/QUOTE
                              You are correct...
                              Yes thank you for pointing that out..
                              So now we move on to This dealer..
                              No, it is not a Eickhorn silver SS sword..
                              Matter of fact I have owned a few of these before and did not sell them as SS swords..
                              Paul is a good guy but we all make mistakes . I feel bad for him.. 1695 is not the model number for the Eickhorn silver SS sword
                              Last edited by damasco; 03-23-2020, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X