FlandersMilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is long wave radio dead or why I hate the internet....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is long wave radio dead or why I hate the internet....

When you collect and restore old radio equipment, it is of course fun to use them and listen to the airwaves. A lot of Wehrmacht equipment is designed to use pretty low frequencies, sets like the Lw.E.a, Torn.E.b, Mw.E.c all operate on long and medium wave frequencies, say up to 2 Mhz. Also most radio direction finder equipment operates on these frequencies so in theory there is a lot of equipment that can be enjoyed listening to these frequencies. But can they?

As I write this posting on my computer, a digital signal passes to my ADSL modem. This box connects to my telephone line, which -like in most parts of rural France and the UK- runs to the nearest telepohone pole on my road and runs overhead for a couple of kilometers to the nearest telephone node. ADSL, clever and useful as it is, uses the frequency spectrum up to 1.1 Mhz. This bandwidth is split in many channels, each of which is tested by my modem to pick the best after which it relentlessly pumps data through my overhead telephone over a multitude of channels. Basically ADSL constitues a series of Long and Medium Wave transmitters connected to an antenna of some Kilometers length. I am not alone in doing this, my neighbours and houses further down the road all have their Long and Medium Wave transmitters with nice long antennas blasting away all along my road.

The result? Well, the whole Long wave and most of the Medium Wave spectrum is all but saturated with an ugly loud buzz. I first noticed the problem a couple of years ago with one of my direction finders, the EZ6. Originally I could automatically home in on transmitters located all over France and the UK, but I noticed how suddenly the lower frequency bands got noisier and noisier and the automatic homing no longer worked. At first I thought the receiver was at fault, probably a faulty capacitor but I could not find the fault. Than I discovered that my Lw.E.a had a similar problem, all the lower bands full of ugly buzz! I tried to locate the source in my house, and although some interference could be attributed to my in-house LAN it just never seized. It has become so bad that the whole spectrum under 2 Mhz is complete unusable. I even boldly switched off the power supply to my house, but the buzz persisted.

What conclusively proved the matter was my Kfz 17. Fitted with a Torn.E.b, likewise all it's lower bands are buzzing like mad when parked in my garage. When I drive it around the block while listening to the Torn.E.b I can clearly pick up variations in the buzz when driving under the telephone lines. When I cross under a line, it hurts my ears! When I find a road without overhead telephone lines, the buzz quickly fades and I can actually pick up radio signals again.

So not a lot of joy from my receivers while ADSL is around. All I can hope for is that the glass fibre infrastructure currently under construction in rural France reaches our corner of the world sooner rather than later. And that my neighbours will actually sign up for it....

Does anybody else have these problems and are there any ideas how to deal with it? (answers preferred by pigeon courier)

regards,

Funksammler

Originally posted by Funksammler View Post

Does anybody else have these problems and are there any ideas how to deal with it? (answers preferred by pigeon courier)
    Yes. xDSL is quite a problem. How far those telephone poles (eg antennas) are from your house? For AM the best thing is try to reduce local interference so if you turn completely off your inhouse DSL - how big is the interference (from neighbours and telephone pole antennas) then? If that helps, then you can try to contain your own interference - using shielded cat5 for dsl line instead of silver satin, making farady cage for the dsl router etc.

Another sad issue is, that LW, MW and SW broadcast stations are steadily disappearing, along with towers

http://www.24heures.ch/vaud-regions/...story/29032093

http://www.aftenbladet.no/nyheter/lo...l#.T85tNGaLeIB

Comment

What disappears, what's new, what's to listen.

http://mediumwave.info/news.html

Comment

Hello funksammler

A most important noise generator is CPL using for interconnecting the pc equipement by the domestic electricity network

qrm at the S meter : 59+

regards Rv12P2000

Comment

Agree.
          I have CPL at home, running at 27Mhz. Can be clearly heard with the UKWEe....

Comment

Originally posted by Dufleuve View Post
            Agree.
            I have CPL at home, running at 27Mhz. Can be clearly heard with the UKWEe....
            Typical ATX PSU switching runs at 33kHz, so the whole shortwave range is full of harmonics of 33 kHz switching frequency

Luckily CPL is not very widespread here - in estonia mostly WiFi is used.
            Last edited by Val; 01-14-2014, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Funksammler, i live right on the Pacific coast USA. I have DSL here, but i do not find the noise so bad as you. I have found the worst noise to be coming from TVs and touch-sensitive lamp switches. I live in an apartment, and when those things of my neighbors are not on, i enjoy listening to AM stations up to 1200 miles or so away, with no special equipment other than usual home radio. However, the frequencies lower the the 550+ kHz band, i mean LW, are a total ruin. If you want to have any hope of listening on MW, you need to forget any kind of wire antenna and use a loop type antenna. I have had this make the difference between able to listen to distant stations and total wipeout due to noise.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X