Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about communication equipment in Junkers Ju52

Gentlemen,

I was wondering with what kind of radio equipment the pilots of for example a Junkers Ju52 communicated.

Did they always wear the Fliegerkopfhaube with build in ear receivers etc. or did they also have loose headphones like for example the Doppelfernhörer (Dfh a) headphones?

I know you got the flying caps with and without build in receivers, so I guess there must have been special loose headphones for those 'simple' flying caps that didn't had the build in wiring etc.

If they had these loose headphones, what were they called?

Thanks in advance,

Fleck!

There is no simple answer to your question as during it's long service life, Ju52's were fitted with different radio installations. Most typically they were fitted the the FuG III installation, but late war types could also be found with the more modern FuG 10.

It is also not entirely clear to me if the Ju 52 was always fitted with an intercom installation, without one the pilots would obviously have no requirement for microphones and headsets. Only the radio operator would have required a headset and could communicate with the pilots by sticking his head through the door and shouting over the engine noise.

The pilots probably did not even always have to wear flying helmets in the Ju 52, it is derived from a low flying passenger aircraft, so presumably has a relatively benign living environment.

Assuming the aircraft was fitted with an intercom, it would have been preferable to use a fully fitted flying helmet to a simple headset, simply to drown out the engine noise. The pilot might use the radio not just for communicaiton, but also for certain navigational procedures, so he would have needed to keep his flying helmet handy.

Perhaps the wearing of the helmet was dependent on the type of mission they flew, on combat missions or when flying over water they may have been required to wear flying helmets at all times. Perhaps it was down to personal preference of the pilots.....

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Originally posted by Funksammler View Post
      There is no simple answer to your question as during it's long service life, Ju52's were fitted with different radio installations. Most typically they were fitted the the FuG III installation, but late war types could also be found with the more modern FuG 10.

It is also not entirely clear to me if the Ju 52 was always fitted with an intercom installation, without one the pilots would obviously have no requirement for microphones and headsets. Only the radio operator would have required a headset and could communicate with the pilots by sticking his head through the door and shouting over the engine noise.

The pilots probably did not even always have to wear flying helmets in the Ju 52, it is derived from a low flying passenger aircraft, so presumably has a relatively benign living environment.

Assuming the aircraft was fitted with an intercom, it would have been preferable to use a fully fitted flying helmet to a simple headset, simply to drown out the engine noise. The pilot might use the radio not just for communicaiton, but also for certain navigational procedures, so he would have needed to keep his flying helmet handy.

Perhaps the wearing of the helmet was dependent on the type of mission they flew, on combat missions or when flying over water they may have been required to wear flying helmets at all times. Perhaps it was down to personal preference of the pilots.....

regards,

Funksammler
      Thank you very much fr the detailed answer, thst explains a lot.
      If I understand correctly, the Ju52 pilot would more likely get his radio information (from ground base and other surrounding planes) from his radio operator and not through his own flying helmet?

Maybe not your 'cup of tea', but do you for a chance know if they sometimes wore their visor caps when flying, maybe even over the flying helmet?

Cheers, Fleck

Comment

Most radio communication was done in Morse code by the radio operator, who would put the messages through in plain text to the pilots. Only the later FuG 10 could be fitted with a "Telefonie Zusatz Geraet" which allowed the radio operator (or pilot) to communicate in Voice on the shortwave radio. This was primarily used for air-to-air communication in formations. In the bombers this was soon replaced by the FuG 16 VHF set, however I have yet to see evidence that Ju 52's were ever fitted with the FuG 16.

I couldn't tell you if they wore their visor caps or not, it is probably a matter of trawling through the web trying to find pictures of Ju52 crew.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Originally posted by Funksammler View Post
          Most radio communication was done in Morse code by the radio operator, who would put the messages through in plain text to the pilots. Only the later FuG 10 could be fitted with a "Telefonie Zusatz Geraet" which allowed the radio operator (or pilot) to communicate in Voice on the shortwave radio. This was primarily used for air-to-air communication in formations. In the bombers this was soon replaced by the FuG 16 VHF set, however I have yet to see evidence that Ju 52's were ever fitted with the FuG 16.

I couldn't tell you if they wore their visor caps or not, it is probably a matter of trawling through the web trying to find pictures of Ju52 crew.

regards,

Funksammler
          Thanks again, I will do some more research on the radio equipment you mentioned.
          You really helped me out on this, great!

Fleck

Comment

Fug 10

Originally posted by Flecktarn View Post
            Thanks again, I will do some more research on the radio equipment you mentioned.You really helped me out on this, great!

Fleck
            FYI_ I have a thick FUG X " bible " and there is no mentioning of any visor caps.
            If you need a Fliegerkopfhaube, drop me a line.
            rgds Ragnar

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X