Replacement Tuning knob for Ukw E. e needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Tuning knob for Ukw E. e needed

I received a Ukw E. e. recently and it arrived damaged. The tuning knob was broken in transit and the corner was dented. The corner can be bent easily but the knob is definitely broken. The broken pieces were around it in the packaging so it was broken in transit.

Does anyone have a replacement tuning knob?

How much should the sender put in for a damage claim?

First, welcome to the world of Wehrmacht radio collecting!!!

10% or more of all you radios WILL arrive broken, especially if the seller does not know how to package them. I give specific instructions on packaging: they must use HARD padding material on all sides - no peanuts, newspaper or shredded paper, and remember to tell them: "NO ADHESIVE TAPE ON THE ITEM ITSELF - THE ORIGINAL PAINT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO YOU". I have received my fair share of damaged radios because the seller was an IDIOT about packing.

It is up to YOU to tell them how to pack YOUR item, because it is YOURS as soon as you pay for it.

The box is easy to fix with a few pounds of a hammer on a bench. The tuning knob is a different story. You can use Crazy Glue if you have all the pieces, but be careful, Crazy Glue is very corrosive to bakelite so you must glue fast and accurately because mistakes are ugly. You may also use JB Weld to fix it if you are good with your hands, or you can wait for it on Ebay (they sometimes come up). Depending on the price of the radio I would ask for 10-15% damage claim.

Yuri

Comment

Yuri

I will take your advice for my next purchase and make specific instructions on packaging. I assumed that a dealer would know how to package them.

The radio was placed in a box almost exactly the same size as the radio. The radio was face up and a 3 ply piece of small bubble wrap on top. Frankly I was shocked at how little packing was included.

The same seller packed my Torn E the same way and it arrived damaged. The corner of the radio was bashed in but the faceplate wasn't cracked. That will be a little tricky to repair but not too bad.

Comment

Goes the same for me

If the seller is not a radio collector you have to tell them how to pack it!!

It needs to be treated like fine china that will get droped 10 feet

Wolfgang

Comment

Anyway the knobs on your UKWEe do not seem to be the originals.
          The one that is broken should be smaller and in molded aluminium.

Comment

like so:
            Attached Files

Comment

Replacement knob

Hi Neil:
              The knobs on ur receiver are not the same as those on Yuri's (Difference between 1941 & 1943?). I think that the diam of ur broken knob is about ~42mm - take a look at this (No it's not original but it'll get u thru until u find one!!)
              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...%3DI%26otn%3D2

u can also search for drehknopf or knopf on Ebay Germany
              Cheers
              ARYEH
              Last edited by ARYEH; 06-15-2009, 02:44 AM.

Comment

I have UKWE and 10WSc from 44 and 45, and they still have the standard knobs.

Comment

Otherwise, a nice looking UKWEe.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Dufleuve View Post
                    I have UKWE and 10WSc from 44 and 45, and they still have the standard knobs.

That is correct.

Yuri

Comment

So the knobs on Yuri's are the correct ones?

Neil

Comment

I am sure this is not good! I opened up the UKw E and found this:

Not only has somebody had a go at fixing this, the transformer has broken loose from its' mount. There are several wires broken off, perhaps when the transformer broke loose.

Suddenly this doesn't seem like such a great deal after all.

Neil

Comment

How badly did the transformer break off? If it's just a broken screw, then that's no problem. Otherwise everything in that picture looks easily fixable.

I've had to replace most of the capacitors in several Ukw.E.e receivers - not an easy task.

Looks like the suppressor grid filter capacitor of the output stage was replaced. This capacitor dissipates to ground all unwanted oscillations from the tube, allowing higher frequency sounds to come through. This is done before the signal reaches the output transformer.

It would make sense to replace this capacitor if it went bad (and most of them ARE bad). But I would do it so you could not see the difference.

Yuri

Comment

Here is the transformer. The feet are completely broken off

I think this is where the wire broke off

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X