How do I test vacuum tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I test vacuum tubes?

Please pardon the beginner question, I am still learning.

Do I need a vacuum tube tester or can I do it with a multimeter?

How do I test them?

If I am looking for a tester on Ebay, do I need a specific socket size for German tubes?

Neil

I use a tube tester. It is the best and most complete way to test tubes. It not only tests trans-conductance and amplification factor (mu), but also tests for shorts between the elements. The RPG 4/3 was one of the best investments that I've made for my hobby. It not only tests most German WWII tubes, but also American, British, Soviet and Italian tubes as well.

http://www.desyatnik.com/accessories...nt/rpg_3_4.php

Yuri

Comment

Tubetester is the best- however:

You can test the filaments with a multimeter. IF that is OK you can put the tube in a piece of equipment you know is working . Fortunately the Germans were great believers in commonality so it is relative easy to find a piece of euipment that has the tube you want to test.

Good luck
      Ragnar

Comment

Well Ragnar, it may be easy for YOU to find a working piece of equipment.

Some of us with slightly smaller collections have a bit more trouble.

Neil

( Just in case there are language problems, I am just kidding )

Comment

if you find you have any bad tubes , the russians sell vacuume tubes still today, as i have a friend who still repairs old jukeboxes, and buys almost all of the ones he needs from them at 1/4the price of american suppliers. Im sure you can find anything you need from that source, and still may even have old stock german tubes available ...one can never tell till you start looking.

Comment

RPG 4/3 usually go for 500 Eur + shipping, and most meed some repair work to get started. But well worth the money and the effort.

Yuri

Originally posted by SpookyDad View Post
            Well Ragnar, it may be easy for YOU to find a working piece of equipment.

Some of us with slightly smaller collections have a bit more trouble.

Neil

( Just in case there are language problems, I am just kidding )

Comment

tubetester

Neil

I am going to Hamradio in Friederichshafen next weekend. If you deparately want a genuine tubetester, I could look for one at the fleamarket there. Give me a max.price you are prepared to pay ( shipping extra obviously ) and I will see what I can do. NO guarantee, as the WW2 stuff has dried up over the past years. Even Wa-Pa stuf is becoming rare now.

Ragnar

Comment

Ragnar

I very much appreciate the offer but my wife will divorce me if any more large packages show up on the doorstep from Europe right now. I have spent a considerable amount just recently. It looks like I will need to spend more on parts just to get the stuff I have working.

If you see any RV2P800 tubes going cheap, I need 4 of them.

Neil

Comment

Too late......you're hooked. I got lucky, I asked my wife if she would still love me if large packages from Europe would arrive on a weekly basis. She said "yes" and I said "Would you marry me?"

Yuri

Comment

Hello,

I think is a verry good test using tube tester.I have not,and test all type vacuum tube,using only multimeter.You mus see in tube data book,tensions and courrent values. Connected on tube pins,tensions why in databook is,you can measure whit multimeter,the courent vallues.
                    Example:for verify RV2P800 tube, connect the filament,1,8 to 2 Volt battery,and measure the courent intensity, 0,18 Ampers + - 5 % is OK.Filament connescted,you apply 12 - 24 Volt DC, (battery,or accu ) multimeter 5 or 10 mAmper scala,in anode circuit, G2 also connested at this battery,and G1 an 1,5 Voltage battery,(negative,and variable )you can verfy if the tube is good.If anode courrent is up to 0,5 - 1 mAmpers,tube is OK.You can compare the tubes.
                    RV2P800 tube is guaranted for 10.000 hours function.
                    If you will an cirduit diagramm,schematics,or tube data book values,i can send in email, for you
                    Best regards, Misi

Comment

Originally posted by Misi View Post
                      Hello,

If you will an cirduit diagramm,schematics,or tube data book values,i can send in email, for you
                      Best regards, Misi
                      Thank you for your kind offer.

I have nothing at this point so anything you can send me would be appreciated.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by SpookyDad View Post
                        Ragnar

I very much appreciate the offer but my wife will divorce me if any more large packages show up on the doorstep from Europe right now. I have spent a considerable amount just recently. It looks like I will need to spend more on parts just to get the stuff I have working.

If you see any RV2P800 tubes going cheap, I need 4 of them.

Neil
                        N problem. NOS or just used. email me directly at

la5he@yahoo.no

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X