What can I use for an external speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I use for an external speaker?

My Torn E finally arrived from the Channel Islands and I would like to set up an external speaker to test it. I thought I had some working original headphones but all I can find is my repro ones for modern radios.

Can I modify a powered computer speaker to work with my receiver? Are there any instructions one how to do it or build one from scratch?

Is there any danger in hooking up 10 9v batteries in series to generate the 90v necessary?

How tolerant are the required voltage levels? If I hook up say a 2.4v wall adapter, am I risking damage?

Neil

http://battlefrequencies.com/sales/speakers.php

Comment

Yuri.

Thank you. I have sent a direct email with a delivery charge enquiry.

Neil

Comment

German WW2 speaker WLSpk

This speaker will work on any german radio, you will be able to hear them across the room they are plenty loud no amp needed. I have used this one for 15 years on all my german radios. They show up on ebay. The case is made of a sturdy cardboard. I am positive this was used aganist regulation for entertainment listening of german military sets.

alan

Comment

power supply

or you could use this

http://www.radiolaguy.com/ARBEIII.htm

Al

Comment

Making 90 V from linked together batteries is fine but I would not use a 2.4 volt for the filaments as this will damage your valves. I would also not use a simple plug in power supply, as these will not be RF suppressed and I suspect all you will get out of your receiver is a distorted 50 or 60 Hz hum. Better to use a single 2V lead acid cell or if you can't find it you can make 3V using 1.5V flashlight batteries and reduce it to 2 V by an appropriate series resistor.

regards,

Funksammler

Originally posted by SpookyDad View Post

Is there any danger in hooking up 10 9v batteries in series to generate the 90v necessary?

How tolerant are the required voltage levels? If I hook up say a 2.4v wall adapter, am I risking damage?

Neil

Comment

Funksammler is right. The RV2P800 tube is very sensitive to filament over-voltage. The best approach is to get a couple of bench test power supplies on Ebay (they are cheap). Since you like Wehrmacht radios, and you have a growing collection, it is good to have these.

The next step is to remove the tubes gently, and turn on the power to the Torn.E.b without the tubes. Measure filament and anode voltages on the sockets of each tube to make sure there is no problem here. Then testing the tubes makes sense with an RPG.

Yuri

Comment

I have ordered one of Yuri's speakers and one of the ARBE III radio power supplies. I will wait on those before trying to power anything up. In the meantime I will open it up and give it a cleaning.

Neil

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X