Unknown radio vehicle device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown radio vehicle device

These devices are seen in many vehicles. They are located under the table and have a circular area on them.

Yuri
    Attached Files

MY best guess for alate Saturday night!!

Antenna dummy load and watt meter/SWR meter.

Voltage converter used to connect to AC mains with kilo watt meter to pay the local electric company a fee for using there power!!!!

Battery charger/regulator

Am I close?

Regards
    Alan

Comment

Originally posted by umformer View Post
      MY best guess for alate Saturday night!!

Antenna dummy load and watt meter/SWR meter.
      Voltage converter used to connect to AC mains with kilo watt meter to pay the local electric company a fee for using there power!!!!

Battery charger/regulator
      Am I close?

Regards
      Alan
      Photo is not very clear but my guess is the latter
      Ragnar

Comment

I agree, this is an early version of the 12 V connection box. You can just about see the two leads coming from the U100 connected to the two terminals of the box. The amp meter would indicate charging/dischring of the battery. This one seems to have a current regulator for charging the battery, something dispensed with on later connection boxes. The connection block just under the table will be the ground connection terminal, connected to the Gegengewicht terminal of the 100 W.S.

I think the vehicle was an early Kfz 61 (page 46, 47 in WftW), you can recognise the shape of the table from the bottom centre picture on page 48, which comes from the same vehicle (note the Spulenkasten for the early Tornister Empfaenger).

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

So why was the regulator required on this early type control box? A clue to this can be found on another photo in WftW; on page 46 it shows racks of spare 4.8 NC 10 batteries for the early Tornister Empfaenger in the early Kfz 61. The bottom rack of four batteries are connected to terminals in the truck, probably with the batteries in series so that they can be charged in the rack. Obviously these radio batteries require a different voltage than the 12 V car battery, hence the need for a regulator to adjust the voltage. So with these early trucks, they would have used a higher voltage charging generator, and regulated the voltage down as required

After the introduction of the Torn.E.b, the need for these separate voltages no longer existed, as this receiver could be fed from the 12 V vehicle battery using an E.W.c, so 12 V generators without regulators could be used.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Good explanation!!!

Comment

This picture was taken in North Afrika looking in to a Kfz 72. I also have wondered what the large dial was for.

Comment

Nice comparison to the earlier picture. Looking at the shape of the radio table, this is also a Kfz 61 (in the longer Kfz 72 the table was further forward, supported by the sidewall). The Voltage regulator has been relocated to the right of the connection box, other than that it is an identical setup. The uniforms are continental pre-war, I wouldn't be surprised if the picture predates the Africa campaign.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

Originally posted by Funksammler View Post
                  Nice comparison to the earlier picture. Looking at the shape of the radio table, this is also a Kfz 61 (in the longer Kfz 72 the table was further forward, supported by the sidewall). The Voltage regulator has been relocated to the right of the connection box, other than that it is an identical setup. The uniforms are continental pre-war, I wouldn't be surprised if the picture predates the Africa campaign.

regards,

Funksammler
                  I am only working from pictures but I have seen some of the Kfz72s with large tall stowage sections forward of this door. In order to accommodate the tall compartments, the table would have to be moved further back. The photo I submitted was paired with this photo and the caption runs across both photographs. Loosely translated the caption reads 'The radio operator sends morse code into the ether and the receiving station picks it up via the antenna'. So it could be showing both ends, continental/Afrika.

Comment

Could it be that more vehicles of the same unit were pictured? In the foreground you can just make out the guywires of another antenna. The Kfz 72 looks like a typical transmitter van with the 1000 W shortwave transmitter on board. I would find it strange that they would also place a 100 W.S. in the same vehicle. In the Kfz 72 transmitter van, the storage cabinet on the left hand side would take a chunk out of the front table (as can be seen on the right bottom picture on page 51 of WftW), but the table would still be mounted against the front bulkhead.

regards,

Funksammler

Comment

From my collection.

Larry
                      Attached Files

Comment

Larrister, that photo is very helpful. The passenger door is clearly visible in that photo so it must be a Kfz 61. You have an impressive collection of photos. How long have you been collecting them?

SpookyDad

Comment

Originally posted by SpookyDad View Post
                          Larrister, that photo is very helpful. The passenger door is clearly visible in that photo so it must be a Kfz 61. You have an impressive collection of photos. How long have you been collecting them?

SpookyDad
                          Thanks. I have been collecting photos for several years.

Cheers
                          Larry

P.S. Here's the whole picture.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X