Back pad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back pad

Heres a radio back pad that sold on ebay. Nice price pretty scarce!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110354288097

I have one I recieved with a bunch of parts they tossed in because who would want it!!!

I am going to try to restore it.

Does any one know what the pad was made of, was it a type of leather and what was it filled with? Maybe horse hair?

Thanks
    Alan
    Last edited by umformer; 03-01-2009, 02:29 PM.

I know....I was watching that auction. The price went to an uncomfortable area for me. Let us know how they're made. Interesting.

Comment

I know, all it is a metal plate, 4 smaller piecies of metal to form a frame to hold the pad down. 27 rivets, stuffing and the covering. No markings that I can find.

Alan

Comment

Do you know how to rivet?

Comment

No but I am doing research into it. For the most part this type of riveting may be a lost art. I did just buy some WW2 german rivets which I may be able to use for this and other projects. I may be able to get some tools and info from a place that sells rivets for car repair, they restore model T's.

Alan

Comment

I know how to rivet. Give me a call when you have a chance.

Yuri

Comment

Another one for sale on Ebay.

For those interested. It appears to be in good condition.
              http://cgi.ebay.de/Funkgeraete-Rueck...QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers
              ARYEH

Comment

Hi,

I have a dugup back plate of which the leather is partly missing.

Inside is very rough hair. Tightly packed in the shape of the cushion.

(Even without the support of the missing bits of leather and after 60 years in the ground, The hair still wants to retain the cushion shape)

In my opinion the hair is a bit rougher than horses hair. But what it really is I don't know.

Filling a copy plate or restored plate with foam would be wrong. Would be much to soft. I also have one in good codition, and that one is also quite hard.

Good luck with restoring it,

Ton

Comment

I have two of them. One was covered in fake leather and one was covered in genuine leather. Both had remnants of what I can only guess is horsehair.

Riveting isn't all that hard. Aircraft Spruce sells all sorts of rivets. COuntersunk heads and a flush rivetset is what is needed. I use an air riveter now.

SpookyDad

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X