Ratisbons

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camo tropical M-43 cap. Battlefield pickup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camo tropical M-43 cap. Battlefield pickup.

OK, I do not think it's really a camo. I think it is just smoke residue (soot) from a fire.

This just came out of an Estate. The family said that their father always told them that he picked this cap up off the battlefield after everything was over.

It looks to me that soot from a fire has stained the cap. It has no soot smell, but it has been 70+ years ago. Stains are both inside and outside the cap.

Photos make it look more bleached out than it really is. It still has a lot of olive/tan color to the cap.

RBnr. Inside is visible but hard to make out. Looks like it's dated 1/44 size 57.

I wish I could talk to the veteran but he is long gone. I am sure there was a story to this cap, but it's all forgotten history now.
    Attached Files

A
    Attached Files

Comment

B
      Attached Files

Comment

C
        Attached Files

Comment

That's really cool, never seen anything like that before.

So, something must have been laying on top which masked it and caused this pattern?

Comment

Who knows? There was either something laying on it, or more likely, it was wadded up in a pile of stuff and smoke residue hit the parts of it that had been exposed.

Comment

Looks Purposefully Applied to Me...Billbert

Comment

cap

Looks like someone made a stencil of splinter pattern and spray painted over it, would be sceptical if it was period done.

Comment

It is not a stencil or paint, it is definitely soot from smoke residue.

Comment

Originally posted by billbert View Post
                    Looks Purposefully Applied to Me...Billbert
                    I agree it does look purposely applied even if it is done using soot.

During WW2 in the Pacific, New Zealand Army made camo uniforms using paint. They are some of the rarest camo uniforms out there.

It would make sense for a German in 1944 to camo a tropical cap if fighting in Europe.

Just a thought but the pattern looks to be a thought out design,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                      I agree it does look purposely applied even if it is done using soot.

During WW2 in the Pacific, New Zealand Army made camo uniforms using paint. They are some of the rarest camo uniforms out there.

It would make sense for a German in 1944 to camo a tropical cap if fighting in Europe.

Just a thought but the pattern looks to be a thought out design,

Chris
                      hand made camo on clothing is well know in german army ,here a FJ bando hand made
                      http://wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/s...d.php?t=958222
                      Fj smocks from early period with hand camo overpaint are well know too
                      this cap i dont know as its not my cup off tee but looks cool

Comment

Looks like a cap that was nearly destroyed in a fire, possibly on purpose...or a smoke tie dye ala the Grateful Dead.

What is the rbn# ? From the one photo it looks like 0/0675/50?? Think i have narrowed it down to one of four possible makers near Frankfurt.

Last edited by Tim O'Keefe; 05-14-2018, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Late-war Expressionist camo as imagined by Picasso...

Comment

cap

Must be some good drugs getting passed around if anyone thinks those distinct, straight lines are from smoke damage.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim O'Keefe View Post
                              Looks like a cap that was nearly destroyed in a fire, possibly on purpose...or a smoke tie dye ala the Grateful Dead.

What is the rbn# ? From the one photo it looks like 0/0675/50?? Think i have narrowed it down to one of four possible makers near Frankfurt.

Any chance its a Weissbach? Neat hat!

Robt.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X