Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well worn SS Artillery Leightweight Visor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well worn SS Artillery Leightweight Visor.

Following up a request "to see more of this one" I would like to show you this light weight artillery visor. I will not call it a crusher as such because of the vulcan visor which, although original to the cap, could well have been a period replacement together with the sweatband which seems rather narrow for this visor, in my view, but I could be wrong. The visor itself appears to have had a period refinish, there are some remains of a greyish color underneath the brown and the checkerboard pattern has partially disappeared. The outer upper cloth is a light weight thin multicolor cloth ( because of that I like to call it melliert ).
    The inner ( burlap? ) band at the left temple is partly broken length wise, the outer black wool band has been sown threw the inner burlap material to the outer top cloth to, I assume, prevent the seperate parts coming apart ( see also stitches ). Visor weighs 165 gramms, I hope you'll enjoy it! Best, Seth.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

No expert - looks like it's been re-banded as evidence of stitching and black banding is loose. Just my 2 cents worth. Steve

Comment

I suppose your referring to the outer black band at the left temple side where the light colored stichting is? That is where the inner burlap is broken length wise and the loose piece has been sown to the outer band, as I already wrote, nothing strange there as far as I am concerned. Rest of the band is nice and tight.

Comment

Hi Seth, thanks for the posting the photos.

Certainly has seen a lot of action, I like it!

So it had cloth insignia?, are you planning on sewing some replacements on?

I wonder if the owner coated the visor to stop it from glinting in the sun..

Comment

Thank you, Ben, as said it's one of my favourits , a lot of history. I got it without insignia, a long long time ago. I've thought about reattaching cloth insignia every now and then but .... have never done it for some reason and I like it the way it is, got used to it, kein schmuck.

Comment

Ah I forgot, I think you're right about the coated visor against glinting, it's semi-matt, rough, crude and I like it.
                    Last edited by revi; 05-08-2018, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X