qqqq
    Attached Files

Comment

finally qqqqqq
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG View Post
        Hello Chris,

as mentioned in our emails this is a great looking original cap and nice to see the unique cockade by this maker prior to fading.
        This is a classic example by Schlesische Mutzenfabrik in beautiful condition.
        A great addition to your collection that will look wonderful alongside your Carl Halfar Pzgren.

Regards

Mark
        yes thank's again Mark , here is my trio
        Attached Files

Comment

Very nice caps Chris.

Regards

Mark

Comment

"Wow" and "Double Wow,"

apart from the points already mention, there two other interesting things that I can see on this excellent example by this maker;

1/ The way the soutache is attached, on one side it goes down to the bottom stitch-line and is stitched through. On the other side it is sitting while above the stitch-line. This shows speed of production. However this point has been discussed on more than one thread on WAF. For example, some soutache on "Beehive find" tropical caps by the certain makers, dated August 1942 or before have had a soutache at the stitch-line on most examples, but the odd one has had a soutache above the stitch-line. Some members have felt that when a soutache is above the stitch-line then that is a not a good thing. This cap clearly shows it did happen.

2/ Are the air grommets zinc or magnetic ? On my monitor, the looks like the might be magnetic with a zine reinforcement washer behind them ??? However, I have never seen a magnetic air grommet on a cap by this maker. Also those grommets are in amazing condition for a cap by this maker. Most out there have suffered corrosion.

A wonderful example and thank you for posting it

Chris

Comment

Chris

2/ Are the air grommets zinc - yes, in and out no magnetic

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisH View Post
                Chris

Thanks for the confirmation. Thus all zinc inside and out, 101% correct for this maker and in amazing condition

Chris

Comment

1/ Soutache comes by a hole from the inside, I can feel from the inside the end
                  one can see it only with a magnifying glass

Attached Files

Comment

or do I feel inside maybe this node ?

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RGD51 View Post
                      One of the nicest Frankies posted. Seldom found in that condition and would note that they were changing over to a cheaper grade of cotton twill possibly late '41...?

Robt.
                      I am considering the point you raise here Robert,

upon looking at the images closer, this cap appears to be made from the early high quality "sage green" cotton twill material seen on some caps and tunics over the 1940-1941 period. It is definitely not made from an inferior grade material.

However, a cap made later in 1941 rather than very early in 1941 from the appearance of the second pattern cockade. It is not a first pattern cockade with the early woven ribbed olive tan backing,

Chris
                      Last edited by 90th Light; 02-05-2016, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisH View Post
                        Chris

Just having another look and observation of the grommets Chris,

I see it has the olive green colour grommets, something seen on all 1940 made caps and other caps made earlier in 1941, sure sign of early made caps.

The special brown-olive colour grommet did not appear on caps until some time in 1941.

So, early sage green cotton twill, "early" olive green grommets (same as the woolen M34 caps used) but the cockade peculiar to most caps made by Frankenstein after early 1941 and into 1942,

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X