Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daniel.S View Post
    Here is another one CHris.

Do you still think this one is 101% correct?
    Hello Daniel (and derka),

The font of the stamps that you and derka have shown in post numbers 116 to 118 is the variation type also shown by derka in post number 102.

This is a different stamp when compared to the stamp in cap number 2/ which is being debated on this thread.

The font of the stamp in "Cap number 2/" which is for sale at Military Antiques Stockholm matches exactly the font of the "Text-book" example by this maker that I have shown in post number 113 to 114. The only difference is the "58" and the "61" of the size stamp. On all other points i.e. style, measurement, spacing etc, they match exactly.

I do not know what to make of the "variation stamp" by this maker that you and derka have posted. I note that both caps in post numbers 116 to 118 have different traps (one being the "T-trap" machine applied as a trapezoid in the correct manner, the other a "later-type" trap machine applied with a zig-zag stitch ???). However, there would also appear to be other differences when compared with the "Text-book" cap I have shown in post numbers 113 to 114 and "Cap number2/" at Military Antiques Stockholm,

Chris
    Last edited by 90th Light; 11-12-2015, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brooksbz View Post
      I believe the SS used more variety of materials in their uniform items than the army. The army seems to have made a more clear switch in 1942-43. The SS switched later and had a tendency to use materials, typically found early in the war, much later in the war. I can follow the arguement, but I find it easier not to mix SS and Heer items because they are so different the same rules do not apply. I agree that becasue of shortages, the Germans used up stocks until they were depleted.

Thank you for your reply brooksbz,

The WH would appear to have had greater access to consistent supplies of cloth and a higher priority in re-supply. Hence the need for the SS to take what they could get and the variety found in SS uniforms. However, the SS also gave priority to industries, factories and confiscated materials owned directly by them. I agree there are differences between how the WH and SS did things.

This said, we see examples of WH field-grey M43 caps with ersatz cotton linings dated 1943 and 1944 and thus the same can apply to black panzer M43's. It all depends on what they had left in stock or could get, when the cap was made. Equally there are WH field-grey M43's with artificial silk/ rayon linings dated 1943 & 1944 (will leave 1945 out of the mix at this stage),

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X