Proxibid Auction: SILK MADE ARMY CAVALRY OFFICER CRUSHER CAP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proxibid Auction: SILK MADE ARMY CAVALRY OFFICER CRUSHER CAP

I am not a fan of these online auction houses simply due to the number of high-end fakes I have seen dumped in them over the years (imho, the sellers think that they are not going to be subject to the same level of scrutiny that they would be by selling thru a dealer or a mainstream auction house).

That being said, I do not collect crushers, but a silk-top Kav would be up there in terms of rarity and price.

So, any thoughts or information on this one?

http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/...er-crusher-cap
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Just in case the auction gets deleted:
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

interior
      Attached Files
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

It was pointed out to me that the silk lacks the sheen commonly seen with silk (look at a tie)--I would have to agree:
        Attached Files
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
          It was pointed out to me that the silk lacks the sheen commonly seen with silk (look at a tie)--I would have to agree:
          May be it is made of "cotton duck" which is a lot rarer like my one shown below,

Chris
          Attached Files

Comment

Cotton duck is a fairly heavy, utilitarian, fabric that would shrink like crazy if it got wet. No sign of that in the auction cap but I might question whether silk is accurate too.....maybe a lt. weight wool gaberdine, rayon, or bengaline which has a rib.

Robt.

Comment

Originally posted by RGD51 View Post
              Cotton duck is a fairly heavy, utilitarian, fabric that would shrink like crazy if it got wet. No sign of that in the auction cap but I might question whether silk is accurate too.....maybe a lt. weight wool gaberdine, rayon, or bengaline which has a rib.

Robt.
              Hello Robt,

I do not think that it shrinks. It is made of the same material that some field grey wraps, mountain trooper jackets or SS camo are made of.

The one in the auction is made of the same material in my opinion but I would need a close up to confirm this,

Chris
              Attached Files

Comment

You can read more about my "cav. crusher" on this thread;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...crusher&page=2

Chris

Comment

Maybe closer to a poplin weave, we may be splitting hairs on semantics....duck was used for various uniforms for sure and I know R. Lubstein even made M40 trop hats in it....its heavier stuff. To me, the pix of the auction cap are not close enough to confirm what it really is. I guess silk is 'possible' (?) but that fabric is usually seen in linings. Hands on would be interesting.

Robt.

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                    I'd have to agree, but that alone certainly doesn't condemn it. These caps are often totally unique and were privately purchased, many times on a whim by local mom and pop tailors, and can exhibit variations in detail and materials that just won't be seen in mass-produced headgear by such larger firms as eReL, et el.

It looks believable in the photos provided.

Comment

Does anyone know what it went for at the auction?

Cheers, Pat

Comment

Originally posted by 90th Light View Post
                        Hello Robt,

I do not think that it shrinks. It is made of the same material that some field grey wraps, mountain trooper jackets or SS camo are made of.

The one in the auction is made of the same material in my opinion but I would need a close up to confirm this,

Chris

Chris,

That is a very nice crusher and very rare in that fabric! I have only seen one other one in person and that was back in the late 1970s....and much of the wool band was eaten away on it. It had the pressed paper visor and the cap weighed like a feather. It is my favorite form of crusher, but due to the rarity of these I doubt that I will find one!

Comment

Originally posted by phild View Post
                          Chris,

That is a very nice crusher and very rare in that fabric! I have only seen one other one in person and that was back in the late 1970s....and much of the wool band was eaten away on it. It had the pressed paper visor and the cap weighed like a feather. It is my favorite form of crusher, but due to the rarity of these I doubt that I will find one!
                          Thanks Phil,

yes it is very light yet functional in every way for the field. One could could see how a special order like this would be desirable.
                          Your experience in this matter is of value, thank you for sharing it.

I have seen Pz. wraps & Geb.Jag. mountain jackets made of this type of material but this NCO tunic (also made from field grey cotton duck) for sale on the estand is a first,

It shows however, it is out there but this would have to be one rare tunic,

Chris
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 90th Light; 06-25-2013, 05:58 PM.

Comment

More images and probably well worth the Euro 900 being asked, given how rare these are;

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=678383

In fact, I wonder if the seller realises,

Chris
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by 90th Light; 06-25-2013, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Chris,

I beg to differ on the price. 900 euros is pretty up there. Most of the summer tunics that sell on the estand and else where go for anywhere from 600-900 USD. They are very cool and I scoop up quite a few of them but any more than that and they just don't sell. Seems its a niche market, but I am glad im usually in it. Matt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 5 users online. 0 members and 5 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X