No announcement yet.

The German Chaplain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good eye. If bullion, it is flatwire (vs coil wire).
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
      As a contrast to the EM/NCO Chaplain studio portrait photo I posted above, here is an NCO who is NOT a chaplain (note he wears shoulder straps), but is either acting as a Chappy assistant, or (more likely) he has some religious training/background and has been selected to give the eulogy for a fellow KIA soldier.
      It is an interesting photo of a funeral where the decorated soldiers in the rear are likely pallbearers. The soldier in the front may well have ecclesiastic training yet many clergymen served in front line formations as combatants (think RKT Hptm. Bach, the Lion of Capuzzo, a pastor). It is also noteworthy that the front figure seems to be the only one without a soutache.

Comment

The photograph in post 234 is interesting in that he has collar tabs with Waffenfarbe. I would doubt that enlisted collar tabs were ever produced in Chaplains Waffenfarbe and it was mentioned the visor cap piping seems lighter than purple. While Chaplains likely had drivers and orderlies assigned to them I would think they would have worn the Waffenfarbe of the unit to which the Chaplain was attached. As to the question of enlisted Chaplains, it is a subject I am unfamiliar with. I have never seen an enlisted Chaplains visor cap and suspect the overseas cap shown, while genuine, may be medical Waffenfarbe with a purplish hue.

Comment

On Ratisbon's right now--I don't know how one can confirm this was period done:
          The tropical cap cut off posted a while back by Stonemint is definitely dodgy. Only Greiling applied the eagle the way it is on this, and Greiling did not — as far as it is known — make officers caps.
          Mike

Comment

Originally posted by OSS View Post
            The photograph in post 234 is interesting in that he has collar tabs with Waffenfarbe. I would doubt that enlisted collar tabs were ever produced in Chaplains Waffenfarbe and it was mentioned the visor cap piping seems lighter than purple. While Chaplains likely had drivers and orderlies assigned to them I would think they would have worn the Waffenfarbe of the unit to which the Chaplain was attached. As to the question of enlisted Chaplains, it is a subject I am unfamiliar with. I have never seen an enlisted Chaplains visor cap and suspect the overseas cap shown, while genuine, may be medical Waffenfarbe with a purplish hue.
            As stated, I have seen it in hand--it is definitely violet, not purple-hued blue.
            Sani blue and Chappy violet are two very distinct colors in hand.
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

The bottom line is that with the Third Reich, there are no "absolutes" when it comes to uniforms. For every rule/regulation/proscription, there was an exception.
              (I have a thread in another forum that has 500 photos of headgear alone that violate regulations in some way, shape or form).

As billbert's tag line so eloquently states: "They NEVER did that....YEAH they did ....."
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

As stated, I have seen it in hand--it is definitely violet, not purple-hued blue.
                Sani blue and Chappy violet are two very distinct colors in hand.
                I have never heard of another but would like to believe that such a thing existed (exists). I am cautiously open to this possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Lodsworth View Post
                  The tropical cap cut off posted a while back by Stonemint is definitely dodgy. Only Greiling applied the eagle the way it is on this, and Greiling did not — as far as it is known — make officers caps.
                  Mike
                  Yes, aside from that it appears the hand embroidered cross would have had to have been applied before the cap was assembled...please.

Comment

I bought a bullion cross like the one on the cap in the photo for DM 8,- circa 1976 in a coin shop in Frankfurt/M, Germany. Unfortunately, I no longer seem to own it (although I can't recall having sold it but after a couple of moves and four decades it may have gotten lost or been stolen).

My recollection is that it was made of single strands of flatwire bullion. However, since I've lost track of it for so long, my memory could be wrong. I do recall there were single wire strands crossed in an "x" at the center and possibly at the end pieces. The cross was embroidered on field gray wool shaped in an elongated pentagon.
                    Last edited by paulj; 08-12-2018, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Hi to all,
                      Can somebody help me, please?
                      Do this have a chance to be original?

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Paar-Kragens...sAAOSweKJbtj9T

Thank you in advance for your help
                      Michael

Comment

Hi,

picture for the WAF archives.

See You

Vince
                        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Please keep this great thread alive.

Always the same poor young priest used as an advertisement and always the same dirty flour ...

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Schirmmutze-...4AAOSwN11cP3hR

The uneven floor (ancient type attic, chicken coop without hens, devastated basement and so on ...) reminds me of something negative

Best regards

Comment

one for display
                              Attached Files

Comment

Totally bullion. This cross matches the one on the Crusher to Father Schmidt at the beginning of this thread. It is the same cross -- it should be noted that this and locally made ones (there was one from Norway I saw once) are the only crosses with photographic evidence. The other once piece army designs I've never heard of a real war time photo of

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 14 users online. 0 members and 14 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X