Toughts about this M41

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toughts about this M41

Gentlemen, any input concerning this cap will be much appreciated. Thanks, ccmax.

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

An original tropical sidecap with added bill, probably a period addition.

Mark

Comment

Definitely an original side-cap converted to m40 configuration.
        I'd like to see more detailed shots of the rear seam and the front area at the join, please? Interesting piece...
        Regards,
        Mark

Comment

Thanks much gentlemen, these are all the photos I have:

Comment

Thanks for the additional photos.
            I'm not getting a good vibe from the disparity in wear of the bill to the side-caps body. The cap has seen a lot of stress before the bill was added - but post addition very little wear to it took place to it - surprising due to the need of the wearer who went to the trouble to get the cap altered...
            I'm on the fence as I have no way to make a judgement call from only photos on this one - but I would not feel 100% comfortable with it at this point.
            Regards,
            Mark
            Last edited by NZMark; 03-25-2012, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot Mark, your opinion is valued.

Comment

Hello guys,

Hope you are doing well there!

CCMAX told me he has placed the pictures here.

This cap is mine so if you need any additional pics, just let me know.

Just as an additional information about its "origin", this piece was purchased in 1995 at AAG International (Mail Catalogue #24) and I fully agree that it is probably a field modification.

Best regards,

Alex.

Comment

Hi Mark(s)

This is an interesting cap. Is the bill from an original M40 ? or something else ?
                  My impression is that it never had a soutache either implying its a late '42 ?

Comment

Hello Tim,

It is hard to tell if it's from an original cap without having the cap in hand. I wouldn't like to hazard a guess on it.
                    I've seen caps with bills removed but never a sidecap with one added, but it did happen to M42 sidecaps so why not a tropical sidecap.

Mark

Comment

Hello guys,

Do you need additional pics? Just let me know and I'll get them.

I'd like to know your opinion. The fabric seems to have the same consistency but it is clear to me that the peak has a slight different color (sun faded???).

Best regards,

Alex.

Comment

Hi guys,

I have just taken new pics. Please, send me your comments.

The color variation is due to the angle of the camera vis-a-vis the clarity.

Thanks and best regards,

Alex.

Comment

Hello Alex,

Thanks for the extra pictures. I have no doubts that the bill is not from a tropical cap.
                          Where it came from, I couldn't tell you. Perhaps a custom made piece?
                          It is definitely not from an issue tropical cap.

Mark

Comment

Hello Mark,

Thanks for your comment.

As for the bill, despite not being from an issue tropical cap, does it seem original at least? I mean, from WWII?

If so, I would think about a custom made field as you said (maybe in field?).

On the other hand, the overseas cap that originates it is original, isnĀ“t it?

Thanks again and best regards,

Alex.

Comment

And therein lies the problem (for me, at least) Alex.
                              If a field made piece (which it must be due to the variance in condition of cap body to peak) then the quality of the workmanship is too good from what I have seen previously. The opening of the cap's lining and finish is carefully done - and where did the peak come from - is it a custom piece or taken from another fieldcap of some sort....? Too many questions.
                              I would very much like it to be a period item, but I tend to believe it's been post-war altered for either a 're-enactor' or a collector who couldn't leave an original sidecap alone due to desperately wanting an m40.
                              Regards,
                              Mark

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X