Artillery Crusher Cap - Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artillery Crusher Cap - Opinions?

Hi all - bought this artillery crusher cap about 8 years ago right before I got out of the hobby - have just dug out the old collection and am throwing a few items up for scrutiny (seeing as when I started collecting 10 years or so ago I was somewhat uneducated in these items). Am thinking about thinning the collection to focus on pioneer items.

Anyways, this was bought from Wright's Militaria here in Australia some time ago, and the sale tag reads:

"German WW2 scarce army artillery officers "crusher" visor cap. Nice original cap in grey/green melton cloth with red piping. Correct flat silver wire eagle and wreath with flexible visor. Some moth nips and a couple of small repairs do not detract from the great appearance. Tan leather sweat band with purple cloth lining and full sweat diamond. Large size. This is a rare cap which looks good. Grate II-"

Here are some pics:

Can anyone offer opinions as to whether this one is good or bad? I have not seen purple lining in too many caps before? If this one is good, what would be the market value?

Many thanks!

BC
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Lenny W; 03-18-2020, 10:13 AM. Reason: Outside image hosting

Oops - sorry guys, just realised this should be in the cloth headgear forum... sorry

BC

Comment

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369523

Hi there,

I personally, would not like this one in my collection. Others maybe like it, but i dont like the lining material. The sweat shield looks like celluloid, but still i just get that feeling...its been messed with...

Good luck.

Cheers, Les

p.s. and i dont like Wrights either, there prices are...ridiculous, there expertise the same... LoL

Is that DAK insignia on the visor? If so, I'd say it's an unusal variation in todays market.

I can't say for certain if it is orignal as I have not handled any of these. Would love to own an original some day and this is certainly worth investigating with the set up if it is era produced.

Anyone have a Jager crusher? Signals? Show em if ya got em, or link to them please.

The wear is consistant through out this piece and with that I see the lining stiching, the buckhram backing too. It all looks set in and worn for it's age, if that can be ascertained. I like it from one aspect of the fold, that sweat shield shows it has been stored for some time this way. Can this process be accelerated and if so, explain.

The shield is not crazed from heat. Where was this found?

Can anyone add advice on this?

Rich,

The insignia are not tropical by any means. It seems that earlier crushers had the option to go with this tan backed insignia combo. NOthing that i have seen or know of relates the insignia to tropical. It does have a nice look to it though. Matt

Comment

Great cap! Love the early pattern insignia.

Comment

Originally posted by afrikasandman View Post
          Hi there,

I personally, would not like this one in my collection. Others maybe like it, but i dont like the lining material. The sweat shield looks like celluloid, but still i just get that feeling...its been messed with...

Good luck.

Cheers, Les

p.s. and i dont like Wrights either, there prices are...ridiculous, there expertise the same... LoL

Is that DAK insignia on the visor? If so, I'd say it's an unusal variation in todays market.

I can't say for certain if it is orignal as I have not handled any of these. Would love to own an original some day and this is certainly worth investigating with the set up if it is era produced.

Anyone have a Jager crusher? Signals? Show em if ya got em, or link to them please.

The wear is consistant through out this piece and with that I see the lining stiching, the buckhram backing too. It all looks set in and worn for it's age, if that can be ascertained. I like it from one aspect of the fold, that sweat shield shows it has been stored for some time this way. Can this process be accelerated and if so, explain.

The shield is not crazed from heat. Where was this found?

Can anyone add advice on this?

Rich,

The insignia are not tropical by any means. It seems that earlier crushers had the option to go with this tan backed insignia combo. NOthing that i have seen or know of relates the insignia to tropical. It does have a nice look to it though. Matt
          Matt, I am looking at the forum thread and can't see my original reply on the screen anywhere. I thought because I am not a paying member the post never made it up for all to see. Does anyone else see my original post? Really weird that I can't see the original post.

Comment

Firstly guys - apologies that this has split over two threads - originally posted it in the uniforms section, realised my mistake, then re-posted in the cloth headgear section and the original post in the uniforms forum got moved over...

Anyways, it looks like the majority of opinions are leaning towards the cap being a good one with some repairs, possibly done post war.

Given all of this, what would be the likely value of such a cap?

Thanks again!

BC

Comment

I sold a similar example with original insignia but in lesser condition earlier this year for USD $1500. So, I'd think a bit north of that. Hard to say though in this tough economy.

Comment

Originally posted by bradcancian View Post
                Hi all - bought this artillery crusher cap about 8 years ago right before I got out of the hobby - have just dug out the old collection and am throwing a few items up for scrutiny (seeing as when I started collecting 10 years or so ago I was somewhat uneducated in these items). Am thinking about thinning the collection to focus on pioneer items.

Anyways, this was bought from Wright's Militaria here in Australia some time ago, and the sale tag reads:

"German WW2 scarce army artillery officers "crusher" visor cap. Nice original cap in grey/green melton cloth with red piping. Correct flat silver wire eagle and wreath with flexible visor. Some moth nips and a couple of small repairs do not detract from the great appearance. Tan leather sweat band with purple cloth lining and full sweat diamond. Large size. This is a rare cap which looks good. Grate II-"

Here are some pics:

Can anyone offer opinions as to whether this one is good or bad? I have not seen purple lining in too many caps before? If this one is good, what would be the market value?

Many thanks!

BC
                looks like real thing to me
                does if fall flat when upside down
                but pop up in shape when worn ?
                good points :
                real insignia
                pipping around cap band narrower than around crown
                leather head band looks good
                ps
                color of lining makes no difference !

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X