No announcement yet.

The Superfakes: The Triple Serial #s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is what is wierd--the sweat band is actually made of 3 strips of leather, and fitted together so that the seams are almost undetectable from the obverse:
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Reverse:
      Attached Files
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Here is the interior of Kurts alteste--note the same style Stirndruckfrei feature, but a celluloid s/d:
        Attached Files
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

One of the rare uses of all bullion on an Alteste:
          Attached Files
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Here is another one. Note that this one has a buckram stiffener and silk lining, but uses the same type of stirndruckfrei feature. However, the pasteboard appears to be untreated. Note the hand-stitching of the s/b to the body of the cap:
            Attached Files
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I must say these early Altestes are light-years ahead of the later ones, and all 3 are different in their own way. They obviously did use Mutzenmeisters to make these babies. Hopefully, more will pop up in the future for additional reference.
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

If these are FOR SURE post war manufactured they are simply AMAZING!!!Billbert

Comment

...I would even say - "frightening" - I would have been fooled...

Jack

Comment

This is a great wrtie-up Stonemint. This will definitely save some members alot of grief down the road.

Comment

2 Police Hats

Originally posted by stonemint View Post
                      As promised, I figured out the mystery of the superfakes--what I call the Triple Serial #s, for the 3 sets of serial #s on the inside of the S/B.

I would once again like to thank Bob Hritz for his generosity in lending me his Feldgendarmerie visor for study, and Derek for raising this issue in the first place.

First of all, guess the fake:
                      Both are obvious fakes

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Manzie View Post
                        Both are obvious fakes

Nice try at flaming, and another positive contribution to the forum. Since they are so obvious, there is one for sale on a dealers site--tell us which one it is. As far as my hat is concerned, it was posted here along with the matching greatcoat (made by the same tailor) several months ago--didn't see you pipe up then,
                        nor when Derek started the "Numerical Markings" thread.
                        We knew they were fakes, but we didn't know the maker--so why didn't you tell us all the mystery maker back then, since it was "so obvious"?

With all due respect, after you started a thread several weeks ago wondering what a wreath was in your collection (an "obvious" Postschutz wreath), I have to take your comments with a grain of salt.
                        Try contributing instead of trying to tear down for once.
                        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Originally posted by JackHyv View Post
                          ...I would even say - "frightening" - I would have been fooled...

Jack

Hello Jack,

When I bought the police hat, I certainly WAS fooled. I have kept it for a study piece as there are always going to be newer and better fakes as well as the 'Frankenstein' remakes of original hats. If these old Alteste hats were carefully redone, they would probably fool most collectors.

The sweatband numbers always concerned me and the 'old timers' (yes, there are a few older than I am) I asked all felt they were spurious, immediate post-war hats made from original materials and using whatever post war materials that were missing from wartime stocks. It is not impossible to find wartine hats that were partially unfinished and had been completed for the post-war trade in war souvenirs.

Bob Hritz
                          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

A good follow up Chris. I wish I could add some details but I was never able to really track much down on these. As Bob says many old collectors, (yes, I'm one too), thought they were dodgy. I had surmised, rightly or wrongly, that they were of 1960 vintage.
                            Here are some images of an SS cavalry cap.I suspect that this hat was made during that earlier period and then the spurious RZM tag was added at a later date.
                            Derek

Comment

Comment

band

Last edited by derek; 03-16-2008, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X