MilitariaPlaza

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Presenting...The Bob Coleman Collection 1967-68!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Presenting...The Bob Coleman Collection 1967-68!

Gents:

As we all know, our esteemed colleague Bob Coleman has never hesitated to help us out with his generous contributions and willingness to post (and explain) his vast collection, and the years of knowledge he has accumulated. I really believe that he is the "unsung hero" of the WAF.

Bob really needs no introduction, and unlike a lot of so-called veteran collectors (who pop on here once in a blue moon), he has the bona-fides to back up what he says (although none of you need me to tell you that!)

This book was the first headgear reference, and was published in 1968, and is a collector's item in its own right. The bulk of the headgear are out of a then 23 year-old Bob's collection.

Unfortunately, the fotos are black and white, and the quality of the fotos is not that good--but its a very good identification reference, and I am sure, launched a lot of people into this hobby.

It is a small paper back book, approx. 4x8 inches, and is only 63 pages.
    Since the binding is only paper, I didn't want to scan it, so I had to photograph it, so my pix are worse than they actually appear.

This is the cover:
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

The author, Stan Bozich, personally thanked Bob in his preface (Bob, you want to tell the story?!):
    Attached Files
    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Lets get right to it--Waffen SS:
      Attached Files
      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Hitler Youth with an odd hat in the lower left-hand corner:
        Attached Files
        NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Diplomatic page--the diplo visor is the only hat that looked "squirrly" to me--very crude embroidery:
          Attached Files
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

A-ss:
            Attached Files
            NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Now this is rare--the 2 A-SS men appear to be wearing A-SS crushers--Bob and Derek, your thoughts?
              Attached Files
              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

These are the acknowledgements--the only names I recognize are Angolia, the late Bill Stump, and Bob Sevier.

Bob, if you have anything to add (and I know you do!) please do so.

If anyone else wants me to post any other hats from the book, let me know.
                Attached Files
                NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

I want an autographed copy. Hey Stan lives a few miles from me and actually in the same city as the collector that sold me my first visor. Is he still around/collecting?

Comment

From The List, Joe Pankowski Is Still A Very Active Dealer Specializing In Daggers. Bob Sevier Of The "cracked Pot" In Buffalo And Still Makes All Of The Major Shows. Dave Webster Owns Webster Displays Which Manufacturer Mannequins For The Military Collector.
                    The Second Hat Down On Page 2 Was Always A Puzzle. Although In The Standard Army Form, It Had A Light Tan Green Top. There Were No Markings In The Hat And It Was Basically In Unworn Condition. I Have Color Pictures Of Most Of These Hats. When I Figure Out How To Use My Scanner, I Will Post Some Of The Old Stuff. The Top Kepi On Page 33 With The Monotone Brown Color Is Posted In The S A Headgear Thread.
                    About 80% Of The Stuff In The Book Was From My Collection.
                    If Anyone Knows If Stan Is Still Around, I Would Love To Get In Touch With Him.

Comment

Stonemint-
                      In Regard To The Photo You Posted, I Once Owned An Officer Quality Perkuro Hat With 800 Insignia And A Soft Leather Visor. It Had Silver Side Buttons And An Other Ranks Leather Chin Strap. I Also Saw A Picture A Few Years Back Of A Black Visor With A Cloth Bill. I Thought It Was A Fantasy Piece But It Was Not. Yes, Both Variations Existed With The Lack Hat.

Comment

Very timely..I was just pushing thru my old copy this week..I didnt realize the author used mostly Bobs goodies but knew Bob musta been a young whipper way back then..As you said just about everything in the book is real..Probably NOTHING in the book WORTH more than 50 bucks back then..(yes 50 bucks was a lot back then but still)..Billbert

Comment

I must say Bob is a wonderful resource. His knowledge is unsurpassed as we all know.

Comment

Yes Stonemint,
                            They are wearing the rarely seen black SS field cap with cloth covered peak. The two nco's are from SS-TV Thuringen and this was one of the first photographs of that cap that was ever published. Prior to that I for one had never seen a period picture, although they are mentioned in SS pricelists. Introduced in 1934, these examples are obviously being worn after the introduction of the second pattern eagle in 1936.
                            Derek

Comment

Here are the super-rare political helmets that Bob posted in the NSDAP thread, as they appeared in the book in 1968 (if we could all age so well!):
                              Attached Files
                              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X