Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cavalry Officer visor - maybe okay?

Hi,
    I would like to hear what others think of this cavalry officers visor. I only have the three pics at the moment but if anyone feels it has a chance of being pre '45 then I will ask for some more pics.

Thanks,
    Brett
    Attached Files

Insignia, rubbish or real?
    Attached Files

Comment

The only interior shot I have.
      I feel the internal wear looks legit....

Appears to have no makers name on the celluloid diamond
      Attached Files

Comment

After looking at the pics again, does it look like a signals cap? The piping looks more yellow.

Also, is the lack of cross-hatching under the visor a major negative or are there originals without the cross-hatching?

Cheers,
        Brett

Comment

I think the piping is Cav, signals is generally more yellow in tone. The underside of the visor could be crosshatched it just is heavily lacquered. It could be vulcanfiber. Everything looks original but my guess based on the pics is that there are post war repairs to the sweatband. The positioning and fit of the chin cord lead me to believe it is not original to the visor. For the right price it could be a good buy. Odds are you are looking at a private purchase EM/NCO that has been upgraded. That is more of a gut feel.

Comment

Hi Nick,
            Thanks for the info

The price is high for what it is, just over $900 without shipping included.

I've asked the seller for more info and additional pics of it so if I recieve them I will post them.

Cheers,
            Brett

Comment

Simillarities to Erwin Freudemann

Brett
              Yours looks signals yellow. I have a Cav gold from Erwin Freudemann that has some resemblance; grey interior, very course or crude wreath and eagle, no x-hatch under visor, large dia chin cord. Yours look a lot like mine.
              Steve
              Attached Files

Comment

Erwin Freudemann look alike

Attached Files

Comment

Erwin Freudemann look alike

Brett - IMHO your piece is good and from same maker. Steve
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by SteveM; 03-11-2007, 02:51 PM. Reason: update with comments

Comment

I agree with Nick here, looks like cavalry to me, the visor has been replaced/ reattched and the price is to high. Jacques

Comment

Hi Steve/Jaques,
                      Thanks for the additional comments and pics!

I should explain that this cap is currently on Manions and is listed in the auction heading as a Cavalry cap, but in the actual item description they say the piping is bright yellow...so it sort of covers their arse if it is either of the two colours. I have asked for confirmation as to what colour it actually is.

The sweatband is described as having two splits in it but if you look at the pics it appears that 1/4 of it is missing!

I am having second thoughts about this cap as I am after only one example of an original visor cap to go with a tunic and I think the price of this mixed with a few other things has turned me off it.

It certainly appears to be an original, but price wise I feel it is a little too high with the obvious faults and uncertainty about the colour of the piping.

If I do get the additional pics I will post them.

Cheers and thanks,
                      Brett

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X