No announcement yet.

This should be an interesting thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't own Moran & Maguire's books, but I did flip through one of them at a show a few years back, and thought it looked very good - my money just went somewhere else that day. It sounds like maybe a good thing.

I bought Gary Wilkin's book a few months ago, and I feel it is a monumental achievement. The research that went into it is phenomenal, and I easily quadrupled my knowledge of these cap manufacturers overnight. Yes, there are mistakes - I don't agree with everything, but it's one hell of an effort, and I think kudos should go to Gary for his outstanding work.

I believe the only real minuses are his reliance of too few collections, and
    the 'Forward' which is tediously pretentious and just plain painful to read.

Comment

Originally posted by NTZ View Post
      I did do a once through Wilkin’s book and I must say very well done. I do have to disagree with the Erel section where he said you could find both army and SS visors with the Offizier’s Kleiderkasse markings though. I do think I remember reading somewhere that was an error.

You can find both with the kleiderkasse markings, it's just the WSS ones aren't original.

Gerard

Comment

Morans book is overall pretty good. I like it because 75% of the visors in it are Erel’s and those are my favorite. In their books 99% of the visors are right as rain. Wilkins is also fantastic. Now concerning the other author, you might as well look at reenactment photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerard/Relic Hunter View Post
          You can find both with the kleiderkasse markings, it's just the WSS ones aren't original.

Gerard
          Gerard it is great to see you posting your thoughts on these. It seems most dealers will shy away from these types of issues. I guess it is bad for business.

Comment

Here's my Dalüge cap. I still have the original eagle to this cap, but one pin was broken when i got it.......
            Attached Files

Comment

high peaked
              Attached Files

Comment

Detail of the sweatband....
                Attached Files

Comment

And finally the inside

P.S. I covered a part of the shield wit my "crossed horsehead", because there's another marking from Dal******252;ge, which isn't part (yet) of the fake shields.....
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by heinrich66; 03-11-2007, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X