Heer to SS conversion Visor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heer to SS conversion Visor

I'm thinking of adding this to my collection. As it is a conversion I'm concerned about it's authenticity. www.hannahsreich.co.uk/shop/shop.php All opinions are greatly appreciated...thanks
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Karl those are a real double edge sword. From all accounts it did happen. The problem is how can you tell if it was period or post war done? A good start would be no extra holes from a wreath and cockade like this example. But then by the same token this one appears to be unissued. If a heer cap was liberated in its unissued state there is a very good chance it never had insignia. In my opinion there is no way to know for certain if it were period done without solid provenance. I personally would be more comfortable with a Heer conversion that had moderate to heavy wear and no signs of Heer insignia.

By the way the cap itself is a textbook Pekuro.

To add on this one I also would want to see more of the pasteboard. A TK could use the holes of a cockade if put on right and some wreaths had top pins so the holes could be higher than what we can see from the pics.

Comment

Hi Karl,

are you sure that this is a "true" conversion and not a post war one? If I was you, I would wait and obtain an untouched ss visor.

Comment

One last note, these pins seem to have been bent in a position other than the way they sit now.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Tony and NTZ, I think I'll wait on something better to come along. If anyone knows of anything interesting out there please let me know..thanks

Comment

I will say this, if you can find one that is unquestionable they are nice buys for the price. In fact this one could be as right as rain but there is just no way to know for sure. I would still consider it if it were priced at the sum of its parts.

Comment

I thought about that one also but I knew when the time came to move it on it would always have doubts.

Comment

I, too, hemmed and hawed over this one--these were done during the war, and it had only the 2 holes in the pasteboard (OK, OK, and because it was a textbook Pekuro). NTZ is right, you would have a hard-time unloading it in the future, and the previous "bend" that "eagle-eye" Nick picked up would lead someone to question whether or not this is still the same hat it was in 1945...
                              NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X