U-boat commanders cap EBAY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U-boat commanders cap EBAY

There is a listing under kriegsmarine, u-boot.. of a U-boat commanders cap. It has a nametag "Queck." Any opinions on this cap? I have two commanders caps and the top looks good to me as well as the nametag. But the chinstrap and riveted scallops look pretty hinky. Also the seller has another cap, perhaps a pre-war cap supposedly belonging to Queck. This one is really strange looking to me...but I have no real experience with this kind of cap.

Thanks

Can you please post the link to this auction.

Comment

it's item 320070004002

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kriegsmarine-U-B...QQcmdZViewItem

hope this helps

Comment

This is totally weird.
        The mohair band looks good. Chinstrap looks good too. The white mesh looks good .The white top looks good but everything else looks too Frankenstein 4 me. Don't like the size stamp either. The scallops were added when someone achieved a higher rank if an upgrade cap was not available. Too Frankenstein on both caps to take a chance.
        Last edited by R.Beck; 01-09-2007, 08:47 PM.

Comment

I think the same. Maybe the top is the only thing authentic. Earliest posting for Queck is WO, Schleswig Holstein 7/39. Therefore, I would think no need to do a board promotion, riveted scallop job as he was already an officer. Also, were there even trim decorations before the war? The other cap is exceedingly strange to me....never seen one like that before.

Comment

If you really, REALLY want to know if these have a chance, just ask for a photo of the interior band support behind the leather sweatband. That should end any future concern.

Comment

Kreigs is my weakest area in headgear but I sure am not getting any warm and fuzzies from these.

Comment

Not to beat a dead horse but the chinstrap looks bad to me because you can see tan on the interior ie. it wasn't dyed completely and therefore looks pretty sloppy bleeding black to the interior. Seems like a pretty elaborate scam to me.

Comment

Gebirgsjager:

Can you post a picture for us of what the 'interior band support behind the leather sweatband' SHOULD look like?
                  I am always leary about KM caps and would like to learn a bit here.

Thanks, Doug

Comment

Well Doug..........

I'd really like to indulge you, but currently I would have to pay 25.00 YET AGAIN in order to post images.

Let me just say this..........the NCO cap above with the added braid is not necessarily a fake but one would need to see the cap up close.

The sweatband does not necessarily have to be off center but I honestly wouldn't touch one without because it is a highly desired feature for a REAL NCO cap.

I have handled a good half dozen or so real visors and have learned from Gordon and Michel as well that these have a black PVC type of support banding running the interior of the cap for moisture protection. Some have different colors as well. I have seen black, pinkish red, white.

Sailor tellermutz ALWAYS have the smooth black PVC banding as well.

Unfortunately WSS caps and KM caps are indeed very difficult to determine authenticity and these are constantly being copied.

Dummy's out there seem to enjoy converting Bundesmarine caps and making them into pre war caps as well.

Just be careful!

Comment

I will concur with this -- the four KM caps that I have had, have the internal PVC or plastic support that GJ mentions (I attribute much of my learning to Michel and Gordon as well ). Also, the good NCO caps have their sweatbands offcenter, but, interestingly, the officer caps do not. -Lee

Originally posted by Gebirgsjäger View Post
                      Well Doug..........

I'd really like to indulge you, but currently I would have to pay 25.00 YET AGAIN in order to post images.

Let me just say this..........the NCO cap above with the added braid is not necessarily a fake but one would need to see the cap up close.

The sweatband does not necessarily have to be off center but I honestly wouldn't touch one without because it is a highly desired feature for a REAL NCO cap.

I have handled a good half dozen or so real visors and have learned from Gordon and Michel as well that these have a black PVC type of support banding running the interior of the cap for moisture protection. Some have different colors as well. I have seen black, pinkish red, white.

Sailor tellermutz ALWAYS have the smooth black PVC banding as well.

Unfortunately WSS caps and KM caps are indeed very difficult to determine authenticity and these are constantly being copied.

Dummy's out there seem to enjoy converting Bundesmarine caps and making them into pre war caps as well.

Just be careful!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X