LW M43 cap made with italian silk lining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OSS View Post
    Is that a breast eagle? Is there a cockade? I have no problem with the Italian lining and the wool looks OK but Luftwaffe caps are typically well marked with RBNrs, dates and sometimes even the month of manufacture. I don't hate your cap but I have suspicions.
    Classical LW Cap eagle + cockade machine sewn on .
    Yes , more of the period caps are marked with RBNr and dated but not all of them !
    Even without any stamping at all , also ...
    Nick

Comment

Originally posted by MM1985 View Post
      This seems to be your cap?
      Yes , this is my cap !
      Nick

Comment

Originally posted by MM1985 View Post
        LennyW once posted some of this bogus size stamps found on Winkler fake caps and it seems to be a pretty good match when comparing it with the stamp seen on this hat so i guess Winkler was the source.
        The stamp is not the same ...look at the 7 how it is made ?
        A lot thinner if you want to compare them !
        So a simple stamp will make a whole cap repro ? A bit easy for me ...
        I'm not a fan of Winkler and don't know by heart what he produced of course , but having only a size stamp on a cap which looks like a "well known" repro cap doesn't make it dismissed ...
        Nick

Comment

I am not myself a fan of this style of size stamp ; I agree that many fakes features those #57. On the other hand, it is true that the stuff made at the end of the war does not necessarily have all the markings. I've owned a fliegerbluse without LBA stamp.

Comment

Originally posted by GAMS1 View Post
            The stamp is not the same ...look at the 7 how it is made ?
            A lot thinner if you want to compare them !
            So a simple stamp will make a whole cap repro ? A bit easy for me ...
            I'm not a fan of Winkler and don't know by heart what he produced of course , but having only a size stamp on a cap which looks like a "well known" repro cap doesn't make it dismissed ...
            Nick
            The stamps will very depending on how much pressure and ink was used. A few more examples on reproduction caps.
            Attached Files
            Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
            teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

I know that the result of a stamping could vary but the Winkler evident repro caps you are showing do have all of them a blurry stamping , not so precise as the one
              on the LW cap presented ?
              Why a "bogus" stamping as it's a totally classical size stamping , observed so many times in other caps and in other sizes ? with or without manufacturer , as on Winkler cap for one of them presented ? A blurry stamp again .
              I don't have picture ready archives but i took the time to open my boxes and took some pics of stamping , sizes in the same style , or exactly the same but not from Winkler ...almost all of them , if not all of them are well stamped .not blurry ...
              Sorry for the quality but it's already night in Europe !
              Nick
              Attached Files

Comment

Luftwaffe stamp vs known fake stamps.

Like Lenny pointed out:
                One must Keep in mind that the lining material and the pressure and/or how much ink is used will make the look of the stamp different.

The angle how the size stamp is photographed might let them look different as well - the 57 stamp on the ribbed Cotton lining is not straight photographed - the pic is taken in a slight angle - the stamp is looking a bit different now.

The stamp on the purple lining WH cap is taken in the same angle like the one seen on the M43 cap.
                Attached Files

Comment

Based on these 3 stamps of sizes pics , it's for me evident that it's not the same which has been used in these 3 caps ...
                  Look first at the flat silk lining stamping : the upper bar of the 7 is totally different ,
                  wider and shorter ? For example ...
                  Look at the 5 on the cotton based lining on the left side : a much thinner one , evident on th side curve ! The upper bar is cut straight at the end as the one on the right is cut crooked ? For example ...
                  It's not only a question of stamping on different cloth or ink , it's a question of stamp itself !
                  So : saying a cap is a modern fake regarding only the exact same stamping as "known fake examples"and that Winkler sold the same cap , or about the same 15 years ago is a bit easy explanation ...
                  Easy as to let make a stamp by your local Drugstore in Germany 15 years ago ,
                  having a perfect model in your hands in case of !
                  I didn't know the story of the LW M43 caps Horde coming from a Flak Bunker in Germany and then sold by Winkler or Weitze but why not ?
                  You already had , even seen on this forum , many caps of the exact same manufacturer in mint condition as so many came out during the last 50 years on the collector market from Hordes ? LW , WSS , KM ...
                  So why not this LW one in particular , i also have in my boxes for 25 years ?
                  I don't have the right answer until now !
                  Buy the facts , not the stories ...
                  Nick

Comment

Another example this time with rb #
                    Attached Files
                    Give a man an opinion and you feed him for a day,
                    teach a man to use the "search" function on the WAF and you feed him for a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by GAMS1 View Post
                      Buy the facts , not the stories ...
                      Exactly.

Lot's of facts in this Topic. At the end each collector must decide if he will buy a cap like this or stick to another example. I for myself do not care for the thread starter example. Opinions might differ like always.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny W View Post
                        Another example this time with rb #
                        Yes , exactly the same stamping as on the 2 x markings on the left+center stamps ,
                        same comments ...
                        But definitively not the one on the right side which is the cap's stamping which started this thread ?
                        Nick

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X