'36-'38' WB- black or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'36-'38' WB- black or ?

I'm guessing this is a zincer whose black paint is all gone; of course I don't mind being corrected if it's really an oxidized silver! (I find NO black paint on obverse or reverse even in the deepest recesses...

and why the brass pin and not the medal's base metal? I hope the pin isnt a replacement tho the catch's solder looks a bit shiny in person....

anyhow thanks for input.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

I meant there's a blob of solder by the turn-up of the bottom edge.

Comment

C'mon guys a little help if you please...

Comment

It could be just me, but it looks like there might be traces of gold in some crevices on the obverse. Especially around the bow. Regards, Ron.

Comment

Unusual hardware combination, which makes me think some (?all) of the hardware has been replaced. This upright post-like (imo earlier, ie WW1/20s) hinge has no baseplate but the catch has a catchplate. The finish on the hinge looks silver but there appears to be either no finish or gold finish on the catchplate. The badge itself looks to have the remnants of a silver finish. I have no problems with different basemetals used for hardware, but this combination is just strange. It's almost a bitza badge (bits of this, bits of that) - being zinc, it almost makes me think it was put together badge post-war for allied serviceman (either that or, as mentioned above, it's had some hardware repairs/replacements).

Regards
            Mike
            Regards
            Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

yes - I'd missed that thanks!

Originally posted by Ron P View Post
              It could be just me, but it looks like there might be traces of gold in some crevices on the obverse. Especially around the bow. Regards, Ron.

Comment

yes the hinge post looks silver-ish tho it's well-attached/soldered. the catch base is actually similar in tone to the catch and pin, i.e., brass; maybe a little bit reddish c/v/ of annealing before soldering the catch in place. quite a lot of careful work when you look close for allied soldiers - I'd think glue would or gnarly sweat solder would suffice for them! still I'd guess the catch is a re-attachment b/c the solder is still shiny and not painted per originals from the factory.

anyhow thanks fellas! and no doubts about the BADGE ITSELF, right?

Originally posted by Mike Kenny View Post
                Unusual hardware combination, which makes me think some (?all) of the hardware has been replaced. This upright post-like (imo earlier, ie WW1/20s) hinge has no baseplate but the catch has a catchplate. The finish on the hinge looks silver but there appears to be either no finish or gold finish on the catchplate. The badge itself looks to have the remnants of a silver finish. I have no problems with different basemetals used for hardware, but this combination is just strange. It's almost a bitza badge (bits of this, bits of that) - being zinc, it almost makes me think it was put together badge post-war for allied serviceman (either that or, as mentioned above, it's had some hardware repairs/replacements).

Regards
                Mike

Comment

The badge itself seems OK to me. From what you wrote about the catch, I'm thinking the catch assembly is probably a repair/replacement. Take that into account and the rest is OK for a wartime Silver Grade in zinc.

Regards
                  Mike
                  Regards
                  Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X