Silver Wound Badge Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silver Wound Badge Question

I just received this wound badge and have some questions about it. The catch and pin look like the badge posted on the wound badge web page, but the finish on this one looks different. This one has little bubbles on the front and back. Opinions pleases--good or bad?? Thanks for your help. Mike

Hi Mike,

As far as I can tell, I think the badge is a genuine example of a later war zinc badge with cast in hinge and catch. The bubbling to the finish is typical for zinc badges. If the bubbles are in the badge (basemetal) itself however, then you may have a problem.

Regards
    Mike K
    Regards
    Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Mike,

This looks like a good example of a late Hauptmünzamt, Wien zinc wound badge with cast in hinge and catch and a big "30" mark in relief. Note that earlier examples in silver plated tombak of this maker feature a different and smaller "30" mark stroke into the badge and a different hinge/catch assembly.

Cheers, Frank
      Cheers, Frank

Comment

reverse
        Cheers, Frank

Comment

Look good.

It looks just like mine " 30" silver woundbadge. Hinge and hook are identical. The bubling of the bach is not so uncommon on these badges.

Comment

Mike,
            I echo the other replies. It's not at all uncommon to have the silvered finish bubble on a zinc based badge. Here's a nice PAB by Hermann Aurich that's really pretty, except the finish has bubbled.

Regards,
            Greg
            Attached Files
            sigpicFacebook "Tigers in the Ardennes" book page
            www.facebook.com/TigersintheArdennes

Comment

wound badge

To all--many thanks! I was not sure and really want to thank all for the comments. The badge came with an award packet and it is correct to the maker. The packet has some writing in pencil on the front that might be the person who earned the wound badge. The bubbles in the finish bothered me and now feel better about the badge. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Mike

Comment

Hi,

I think your badge looks nice (although the pics are too small).
                As other members said it´s very common to see bubbles in late war awards and due to everything else looks ok, I wouldn´t worry about it.

Cheers,

Javier.German Wound Badges

Comment

I agree with the fellow members for this badge.
                  Also this nice photo for the Sillver WB. taken by Frank, is clearly
                  visible the nerve on the wreath at the right side of the badge between on the two pairs of berries,down of the sword blade.
                  This is a characteristic point for this maker for all his variations.
                  sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X