Cleaning up a SWB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning up a SWB?

My Dad got this for me at Christmas. Is there a way to clean this up without diminishing its value?

Thanks

USASOF Jr

You might try the aluminum foil, baking soda, and salt method for cleaning silver (look it up on the Internet). I like it because it actually converts the silver oxide back into silver, instead of rubbing the tarnish off which will always give it an overcleaned look. But you might want to get some additional opinions before proceeding. If it was mine, though, I would probably "go for it".

Comment

Personally i would leave it alone.The only time that you would maybe want to clean a badge is if it had zinkpest starting.Just my 2 cents, Jay

Comment

You can't bring back the silver in this one I'm afraid. That isn't tarnish, its the base metal zinc. The silver finish not present is gone. Do any additional scrubbing (of any kind) and you will likely take the rest off.

Comment

Actually the original finish on this zincer is probably all there in this case, rather than being absorbed or worn off (the "streaked" effect is the clue). Imo there's no way to reverse the "greying" process, so I would not attempt to do anything or you risk removing the now grey finish and then inducing zincpest.

Regards
          Mike
          Regards
          Mike

Evaluate the item, not the story and not the seller's reputation!

If you PM/contact me without the courtesy of using your first name, please don't be offended if I politely ignore you!

Comment

Leave it alone, it's a nice looking badge as is

Comment

It's because of the base material of the badge (zink) which starts to absorb the finish during the time.
              Best regards, Andreas

______
              The Wound Badge of 1939
              www.vwa1939.com
              The Iron Cross of 1939- out now!!! Place your orders at:
              www.ek1939.com

Comment

Originally posted by usasof View Post
                My Dad got this for me at Christmas. Is there a way to clean this up without diminishing its value?

Thanks

USASOF Jr

Dear USASOF,

You have a nice maker marked (B.H. Mayer) zinc silver wound badge. Although it is difficult to tell from the pictures the black streaks are not dirt they are a result of the base metal of the badge interacting with the environment, plating etc. Some people put a coat of vaseline on their zinc badges to prevent oxygen from further deteoriating the finish.

As for the method discussed involving aluminum foil and baking soda, that will scratch a badge and nothing converts silver oxide back to silver. (this is not pertinant to your badge, USASOF,since it is zinc). Tarnish, oxidation, or whatever you want to call it occurs at the molecular level and any removal of it is actually a micro removal of silver from the piece. That being said, there are collectors who use what I beleive is called "sudsy ammonia" to clean their badges.

Gary B
                ANA LM #1201868, OMSA LM #60, OVMS LM #8348

Comment

I suggest to leave it as is, with the zink material you will do not much and probably do more damage of the original finish...treatment is easier on non ferrous material.
                  sigpic

Comment

I too would leave it as it is dont mess about with it

Comment

Leave it as is. It took 60+ years to get that way.

Comment

Zinc is non-ferrous. There is nothing you can do to get the award back to its original condition. Also, there is no reason to try. you have a perfectly fine wound badge.

Comment

USASOF,

If you decide to clean this I suggest that if you are careful and clean it with soapy water and a soft toothbrush (gently), and then a jewelers silver cloth you will get a good non intrusive result that I believe will be good as Mike Kenny suggests...If you then cover the piece with a coat of Renaissance Wax you will seal it, thus preventing zinc pest. I see no issue with this personally...But don't clean to the point of polishing is my advice as well, not much pressure required when cleaning and definitely do not abrade. Despite the non-ferrous nature of the base metal this will not cause damage or negative results if done the correct way.

To clean or not to clean is up to you...
                          Cheers, Steve
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------
                          "Next to a battle lost, the saddest thing is a battle won." Arthur Wellesley — Duke of Wellington

Comment

I got a zinc SWB that was made by Carl Wild(107) with its silver finish gone. I will not restore this SWB. I will leave this zinc SWB alone. I advise that you dont need to clean this SWB. Zinc medals are difficult to clean. Most gold and silver wash on WBs are absorbed by this metal as time passed by. Thanks!

Comment

Leave it as it is! That's a great zinc SWB there!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X