BD Publishing

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please post your 1936/Spanish pattern/ Legion Condor Wound bagdes here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rear of silver
    Attached Files

Comment

Another Silver

Here's another silver that I own (pictures attributed to Giel) - front -
      Attached Files

Comment

Here's another silver that I own - rear -

Here's another silver that I own (pictures attributed to Giel) - rear-
        Attached Files

Comment

And another of my Condor SWBs - front

Here's another of my Condor SWB's sorry to be boring (pictures attributed to Dave-B - I'll take some of my own one day) - front -
          Attached Files

Comment

And another of my Condor SWBs - rear

Here's the rear (again pic attributed to Dave-B - I'm a lazy sod - quote John L!) -
            Attached Files

Comment

Here are a couple.

#1 Front:

RonR

Comment

#1 Reverse:

RonR

Comment

#2 with a miniature and a stickpin.

Front View:

RonR

Comment

Reverse View:

RonR

Comment

'36 Spanish or '39 Type I Wound Badges

Hello Gents,

Great thread with many original 1936-1939 Spanish wound badges!

Too bad only one person has mentioned that there is another wound badge which is a close parallel to the 1936-1939 "Condor Legion" style. The 1939 type one Wound badge is mistaken very often as a "Condor Legion" wound badge.

Ronny.R was the only one I read that addressed this type of wound badge. ( )

Most of the badges listed here in this post are not 1936-39 Spanish Wound Badges. But rather, type one 1939 wound badges. Sorry.

The 1936-1939 pattern Spanish wound badge was (to my knowledge) only made by one firm. (Company unknown to me.) This maker used the type IV (4) World War One 1914 wound badge as the templet. Made from stamped sheet metal, for all three grades. These "Spanish Wound" badges were authorized to be awarded in May of 1939. With Hitler renewed the statues, allowing "German Volunteers' who had received wounds in action......against communism during the 1936-1939 Spanish War of Liberation...." It can be inferred that wound badges started to be constructed after the 22 of May 1939, when the order was signed.

The type I (one) 1939 Wound badges are found with several variations of helmets, including the 1914-18 type 4 wound badge found on the 1936-39 Spanish wound badges. However these will have the six raised lines between the arms of the swastika, a feature not found on any of the true 1936-1939 Spanish wound badges.

Most Type I 1939 wound badges are encountered with a "flat" swastika to the helmet. The soft edges to the swastika are also a clear indicator of being a type I (one) 1939 badge.

*Note these early type I 1939 wound badges were also made by jewelers. *
                      (causing even more confusion)!

Not wanting this to be a full length dissertation on wound badges, I recommend reviewing your badges to see if you have a true Condor Legion wound badge or more probable, a Type I 1939 Wound Badge.

Recommended reference: German Wound Badges 1914 - 1939 - 1939 - 1944 - 1957, by William Hamelman.

Hope this information helps to clear some of the misinformation concerning the "Spanish Wound Badges."

Cheers,
                      Howard

P.S. I welcome any corrections, or information concerning makers of the type I 1939 Wound Badges.

Comment

This is one of my favorite wound badges. It is a very thin, light weight example. It is well worn and the pin and catch are long gone. There are 2 small holes punched in the badge where the catch used to be to allow it to be sewn onto the uniform. I feel certain it was worn on a uniform in this configuration in WWII.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Reverse, note the two square holes.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Type I 1939 WB

Originally posted by Chris Pittman View Post
                            This is one of my favorite wound badges. It is a very thin, light weight example. It is well worn and the pin and catch are long gone. There are 2 small holes punched in the badge where the catch used to be to allow it to be sewn onto the uniform. I feel certain it was worn on a uniform in this configuration in WWII.

Hi Chris,

Nice salty example of a 1939 Type I wound badge!

Cheers,
                            Howard

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Kelley View Post
                              The 1939 type one Wound badge is mistaken very often as a "Condor Legion" wound badge.
                              Great point Howard , I agree ..it is a common mistake

Comment

Originally posted by Mike P. View Post
                                Great point Howard , I agree ..it is a common mistake
                                Hello Mike P.

It's a very common mistake.

So common a mistake, I suggest that all the wound badges on this thread are of the 1939 Type I variety. (welcome any comments).

Just proves how very rare it is to actually own an original "Condor Legion" wound badge.

Regards,
                                Howard

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X