Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting BDM Sports Award Badge

Hi Everybody,

I recently acquired this from a friend in Austria.

It has to be one of the nicest HJ badges I've had. The quality far exceeds that of a tinnie, and is more reminiscent of an early Luft. Flight badge.

The inscription reads;

1. Obergau Mstschaft. Mallnitz 1939 Bestzeit (?) BDM Kl. b

which I believe signifies;

1. Obergau Meisterschaft Mallnitz 1939 Bestzeit (?) BDM Klasse b

I think!

so;

1 Territory Championships Mallnitz 1939 (something) BDM Class B

So presumably, this was given to the BDM member with the best time in (? Ski-ing?) Class B (?)

Also, I'm confused whether this would be the Championships for one Territory (Obergau) or all Territories (I suspect this is not the case).

If one Territory, which one? Suedost?

Going back to the badge itself, I imagine it would be a one-off (although please correct me if I'm wrong), since presumably there would only have been one person with the Best Time. The quality of the Edelweiss is superb, as is that of the eagles talons, wings etc. Also, the inscription is highlighted in gilt.

I hope you all like it. All comments appreciated. Does anyone have anything similar?

Best regards,
    Toby.

PS Mallnitz can be found on the web (there are webcams!) and is small town / village, nestling between the mountains.
    Attached Files

And some detail shots:
    Attached Files

Comment

Another:
      Attached Files

Comment

And the reverse:
        Attached Files

Comment

Mallnitz appears to be in the Kärnten region of Austria, so would have been in Gebeit 31 (Kärnten).

It looks like the inscription may have been hand-engraved, which would have made sense. That allowed a nice run of blank badges that could have varying info cut into them for the different competing categories. This would also explain what looks like gilding but is probably the underlying bronze showing through (like it is where the tips of the swastika are worn).

A very nice HJ competition award with very limited distribution.

Comment

Hello VerKuilen,

Many thanks for replying.

It's interesting that you should mention Kaernten as the Territory, since an appropriate BDM sleeve triangle came in the same parcel.

I suspect you're right re. what looks like gilding being the underlying bronze. I had initially compared it with the Nordmark brooch shown in an ealier post, which I believe has gilding in the letters. As you point out though, the swas is worn, and this would seem to match the letters.

Here's a picture of the triangle.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
            Toby.

Originally posted by VerKuilen Ager
            Mallnitz appears to be in the Kärnten region of Austria, so would have been in Gebeit 31 (Kärnten).

It looks like the inscription may have been hand-engraved, which would have made sense. That allowed a nice run of blank badges that could have varying info cut into them for the different competing categories. This would also explain what looks like gilding but is probably the underlying bronze showing through (like it is where the tips of the swastika are worn).

A very nice HJ competition award with very limited distribution.
            Attached Files

Comment

Since it is a nice example, here's the reverse:
              Attached Files

Comment

That's a great looking badge. And quite rare!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                X