RAD Pin/Brooch Opinions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAD Pin/Brooch Opinions

I am hoping Yancy will see this or someone else who knows their Rad stuff. This piece has no markings that I see except for the catch which has ges.gesch. It is not solid but more like a tinnie of bronze. Maybe some one can take a look.
    Thanks in advance
    Burgerhaus
    Attached Files

burgerhaus, your brooch is for the Reichsarbeitsdienst der weibichen Jugend (RAD/wj) Arbeitsmaid (Pflicht). very nice.

Comment

James,

Thanks for the compliment. My concern is about authenticity since I no very little about RAD. I have a silver brooch that is a solid piece but this one is kind of like a tinnie. Here is a pic of the reverse. There are also no markings on it whatsoever. Thanks again for your help. Any idea where Yancy is?

Robert L. Burger akaburgerhaus
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by burgerhaus
        James,

Thanks for the compliment. My concern is about authenticity since I no very little about RAD. I have a silver brooch that is a solid piece but this one is kind of like a tinnie. Here is a pic of the reverse. There are also no markings on it whatsoever. Thanks again for your help. Any idea where Yancy is?

Robert L. Burger akaburgerhaus
        Hello,

sorry I have been offline for over a month with major computer problems,I finally decided it was time for a new one and it just arrived via UPS today!! anyways about your badge it is a 17 august 1937 pattern rank brooch (this type was dicontinued after october 1939),the bronze badge is for the rank of lagergehilfin however not arbeitsmaid,most of these broochs (1937 pattern)do have the RAD control mark and the year of manufacture (either 1937,38 or 39)the brooch i have of this type (I only have 1 of this style, RADwJ doesnt interest me very much!)is made of a lighter metal than the earlier and later style broochs that i have ,mine appears to be made of aluminum but it does have a solid back and is maker marked assman with the RAD control mark and the date (1939)being that they were made pre war there is no shortage of material so you think they would be of a higher quality than the wartime broochs.the fact that it doesnt have a makers mark or date or more importantly the RADwJ control stamp does bother me a bit,only authorized makers could supply the RAD and RADwJ and this authorization was indicated bt the control stamp,the fact that this one doest have it makes me very suspicious and i would indeed pass on that one,I will however look into this topic a bit more and let you know if i come up with anything else.
        Last edited by Radcollector; 07-29-2004, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Here's a scan from Heering & Hüskins Handbook of this badge to bad they don't show the reverse.
          Attached Files

Comment

Rad Brooch

Hello James,
            Thanks for all this help with this badge. I too was concerned about no markings as well and since I can't pass on it, I think I will pass it back. I am not too fond of that sort of thing but if he wants me to buy more stuff from him, he'll have to give me a refund/exchange. Thanks again
            Robert
            Last edited by burgerhaus; 07-30-2004, 09:16 AM. Reason: Edit non-pertinent material

Comment

Originally posted by Yancy Irwin
              Hello,

sorry I have been offline for over a month with major computer problems,I finally decided it was time for a new one and it just arrived via UPS today!! anyways about your badge it is a 17 august 1937 pattern rank brooch (this type was dicontinued after october 1939),the bronze badge is for the rank of lagergehilfin however not arbeitsmaid,most of these broochs (1937 pattern)do have the RAD control mark and the year of manufacture (either 1937,38 or 39)the brooch i have of this type (I only have 1 of this style, RADwJ doesnt interest me very much!)is made of a lighter metal than the earlier and later style broochs that i have ,mine appears to be made of aluminum but it does have a solid back and is maker marked assman with the RAD control mark and the date (1939)being that they were made pre war there is no shortage of material so you think they would be of a higher quality than the wartime broochs.the fact that it doesnt have a makers mark or date or more importantly the RADwJ control stamp does bother me a bit,only authorized makers could supply the RAD and RADwJ and this authorization was indicated bt the control stamp,the fact that this one doest have it makes me very suspicious and i would indeed pass on that one,I will however look into this topic a bit more and let you know if i come up with anything else.
              Yancy I was wondering what happened to you. You are an important and knowledgeable member of this forum. Welcome back!!! I glad it was only computer problems. As for the badge, it's going back to Allentown show for a refund. I was concerned about lack of markings and not being solid backed myself. It doesn"t look like it has bounced around in someone's jewelry box either for 65 years. I'm glad you didn't take the Frobler route and disappear from this forum without a trace. Robert

Comment

Originally posted by burgerhaus
                Yancy I was wondering what happened to you. You are an important and knowledgeable member of this forum. Welcome back!!! I glad it was only computer problems. As for the badge, it's going back to Allentown show for a refund. I was concerned about lack of markings and not being solid backed myself. It doesn"t look like it has bounced around in someone's jewelry box either for 65 years. I'm glad you didn't take the Frobler route and disappear from this forum without a trace. Robert
                Hello Robert ,

here is the pictures of mine,hopefully they came out ok im still trying to figure out the new scanner!
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Yancy Irwin
                  Hello Robert ,

here is the pictures of mine,hopefully they came out ok im still trying to figure out the new scanner!
                  well that sucked,ill try to rescan them and repost them,my last scanner worked great on tinnies etc but wouldnt work with my new compueter and windows XP!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
                  X