HisCol

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Progressive Society of French Polishers - British Fascist Union Badge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progressive Society of French Polishers - British Fascist Union Badge?

I have got this nice enamel badge. It is a membership badge for the Progressive Society of French Polishers. So far, I have been able to establish that this is/was a British Trade Union organisation which was already registered to raise political funds in the 1920s. Judging by the Fascist Insignia on the badge I would assume that they were linked to the British Union of Fascists. But then there is also the image of the All Seeing Eye, so does that mean that these guys were also linked with the Freemasons?

Does anyone have any more information about this organisation?

Cheers, Torsten.
    Attached Files

Pics of the reverse.
    Attached Files

Comment

No Masonic link. It looks more like the eye of Horus. Besides, the Masons and fascists were mortal enemies.

Stephen

PS - how do you get the French to sit still long enough to polish them?

Comment

Don't forget that before Mr Hitler gave it such a bad name the swastika was a GOOD LUCK symbol used by all sorts of people from Hindus thru to the Vikings. In the 20's it was used on a number of ladies brooches and gentleman's tiepins in this capacity, also on some kind of UK savings stamps I think?

Comment

I agree with Stephen, not facist related, more likely a good luck symbol on a society badge. A lovely piece indeed.

Many of my family were French polishers, you may be interested to know that most of that industry over here were decended from the French Huguenots....

Cheers
          Don

Comment

I am fully aware of the history and the background of the swastika and its other uses, but the symbols here are the German Fascist Logo = swastika and the Italian Fascist Logo = Axe Bundle (Fasces) ... used at the same time and surely both of these together used on a politically related British item from the 1920s/1930s cannot simply be dismissed as a good luck charm ????

The British Union of Fascists were initially supported by some of the Unions and labour movements.

I am sorry, but I think to dismiss this item as simply a good luck charm or similar may be wrong and I fail to be convinced by the arguments put forward here to date ... but of course, I would be more than happy to be shown that I am wrong ... one way or another, this is a nice badge and I am just trying to figure out exactly what it is.

Cheers, Torsten.

PS: With regard to the use of the swastika on 'some kind of UK savings stamps', this was the British War Savings Committee, who used the swastika from its inception during WW1 through to 1939 and who had nothing to do with fascism. These guys basically used it as a Good Luck Symbol. See two examples of badges from the British War Savings Committee from my collection below:
            Attached Files
            Last edited by torstenbel; 02-23-2012, 03:52 AM.

Comment

You also have to consider that the fasces (the bundles of sticks tied around an axe) was not a purely fascist symbol in the early days either. It was a symbol of strength through unity (perfect for a union or collective group).

Many early memorials throughout the UK & Europe (& some in the US I believe) used this symbol on them to signify strength through the unity of it's people. We cannot always put modern connetations of the use of symbols on pre war items.

Fattorini have been making badges since the early 1800's, this badge could easily be much earlier than the 1920/30's. My family were French polishing from the mid 1800's (before that they were silk weavers) & there were many guilds & collective groups from the very start.

In this case the double use of the Fasces & Swastika are purley as symbols of strength and good fortune of the collective group, nothing more.

Cheers
              Don

Comment

Hi Don, thank you for your reply and of course you may well be correct ... would you or anyone else know any more about the organisation in question here, the Progressive Society of French Polishers? The only real positive link I could find was their mention in a parliamentary report as a registered trade union that required its members to subscribe to a political fund in 1926 http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/w...olitical-funds . However, this website for example http://www.unionancestors.co.uk/AtoZ%20P.htm does not even list it as a trade union ... by learning more about the organisation, I am trying to be able to focus on the likely timeframe in which this badge may have been made and I am trying to find out a little more about the background and aims of the organisation. Why did this trade union have a political fund in the mid 1920s and who were they supporting with it? Of course, if this badge is from the 1910s for example, then it will have absolutely nothing to do with fascism, etc. Cheers, Torsten.

Comment

I believe Don may be right, although I think he should have the badge due to his families previous occupations. The only info I found said that the union was amalgamated into the upholsterers union! at some time.
                  Regards,
                  Pete
                  When do you want the table Don?

Comment

Honourable Brothers & Sisters, I am sorry for my late reply.....

I've been trying to see if any of the family know anything, but alas all of the generations that were in "the trade" have passed on. However I shall see if any of their decendents know anything.

Cheers
                    Don

Comment

As an aside, Thomas Fattorini still exists as a business, my employer orders bespoke badges from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Richarddwh View Post
                        As an aside, Thomas Fattorini still exists as a business, my employer orders bespoke badges from them.
                        might be worthwhile contacting them? Maybe they'll have some records to say when these badges were made by them? cheers, torsten.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X