Okay-now I am puzzled..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay-now I am puzzled..

These came my way this week and (help with their names)..I notice the difference in them..Why the extra date on one?? Notice the double stamp of 1933 on the reverse..your thoughts.. Mike
    Attached Files

why the double date?
    Attached Files

Comment

tinnies

Mike, don`t have an answer for ya, but thats cool as hell

Comment

"Tag der Deutschen Kunst" badge. They appear to have used the same design in 1933 and 1937. HW has both of them, too.

Comment

Hi Mike,

As I understand it, the tinnie marked "1933" refers to the ground-breaking ceremony for the House of German Art, while the double-dated tinnie can be described as follows: The dates refer to the ground-braking ceremony for the House of German Art in Munich on October 15, 1933, and the extravaganza held for the opening of this enormous art gallery and museum commemorated by the first annual “Day of German Art” on July 16-18, 1937. The building was designed by Prof. Paul Ludwig Troost and financed primarily by the Hitler Culture Fund. Troost died in 1934 and all the projects begun by Atelier Troost – Troost Studio – were completed by his colleague, Prof. Leonhard Gall, in close cooperation with Troost’s widow, Prof. Gerdy Troost. I have an example of the double-dated badge in my collection, as well.

As to the double-strike on the '33 badge's reverse, I have no answer! I can't imagine how such a thing could happen and not show up on the obverse at all!

Hope this is helpful,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X