SA sports bad for war wounded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA sports bad for war wounded

Hi guys, would like opinions about this piece, looks good to me but is there any red flags?

Pics courtesy of collectorofcollector site.

Best Regards,

Adren
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Finish better than usual; I think it's a good one.

Comment

Yes its almost mint piece, very good condition!

Comment

Hi Adren,

I have never seen an SA Military Defense Badge for War Wounded in such pristine condition! Like this one, both of the examples in my collection were made by Redo -- M1/100 -- and the finish is non-existent on one and spotty on the other, and I have seen photos of a number of others in similar condition. This one looks like it was just taken down from the shelf in an RZM shop somewhere! If there are any "red flags" on this piece, I would take the reverse view that it is almost 'too good to be true!' I love the badge and it's condition, but experience being what it is... Hope this helps.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
            Hi Adren,

I have never seen an SA Military Defense Badge for War Wounded in such pristine condition! Like this one, both of the examples in my collection were made by Redo -- M1/100 -- and the finish is non-existent on one and spotty on the other, and I have seen photos of a number of others in similar condition. This one looks like it was just taken down from the shelf in an RZM shop somewhere! If there are any "red flags" on this piece, I would take the reverse view that it is almost 'too good to be true!' I love the badge and it's condition, but experience being what it is... Hope this helps.

Br. James
            Hi, James

It is one of the last pieces of a very old super collection, that had many great high end pieces. I know in this hobby that if something looks too nice, there can be a problem but I am leaning to make an exception on this case knowing where it came from.

Best Regards,

Adren
            Last edited by adren; 06-14-2011, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Adren, and I understand where you're coming from on this piece. Since you know at least part of the badge's provenance and it has spent much of it's post-war life in one collection, I can see how the finish could have survived as beautifully as it has. The badge may never have been issued. Wish I had as pristine an example in my collection! Congrats,

Br. James

Comment

Obverse looks ok, but looking carefully the reverse I can see some details diferent to the other examples M1/100. Pin and catch are quite diferent to the best known originals from this maker. I have several shamples of this item by Redo in my hand before, and I had never seen this pin-catch system. Maybe a variation? I don´t know it exactly. Looks the photograph in Niemann´s, Angolia´s, Forman´s and other text books and you´ll know what I´m saying.

Comment

In the old days, many collectors coated these old Zn based badges with a light application of olive oil to prevent air from getting in contact with the finish and base metal. Could this be the result of an early application? Kind of looks like it in the recesses of the badge.

Comment

Heres picture from detlevs book, maker mark looks the same to me, also the pin looks similar but sadly cant see the pin closed. The die looks exatly the same when looking at it but catch bit different, can be variant or repaired in the detlev badge, not sure.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Weinand View Post
                      In the old days, many collectors coated these old Zn based badges with a light application of olive oil to prevent air from getting in contact with the finish and base metal. Could this be the result of an early application? Kind of looks like it in the recesses of the badge.
                      Hi Ron,

That is a very good point, it is entirely possible that something like that has been applied at some point now that you mention it.

Best Regards,

Adren

Comment

Catch is totally diferent. Even more, in your badge there is a circle raised or incused to mark the place to fix the catch.
                        If you look carefully the frame of the pin, in the upper part you can see is completly different. The coke pin is slightly diferent too.
                        On the other hand the fat numbers of your badges are less common than the thin one usually found in this kind of badges.
                        As I said, I don´t know if yours is a variation, may be..., I´m just warning about this diferences about the considered "text book" badges.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorio Torres View Post
                          Catch is totally diferent. Even more, in your badge there is a circle raised or incused to mark the place to fix the catch.
                          If you look carefully the frame of the pin, in the upper part you can see is completly different. The coke pin is slightly diferent too.
                          On the other hand the fat numbers of your badges are less common than the thin one usually found in this kind of badges.
                          As I said, I don´t know if yours is a variation, may be..., I´m just warning about this diferences about the considered "text book" badges.
                          Much appreciated Gregorio! Are these badges how well researched, would there be a good reference book somewhere ?

Best Regards,

Adren

Comment

Originally posted by adren View Post
                            Much appreciated Gregorio! Are these badges how well researched, would there be a good reference book somewhere ?

Best Regards,

Adren
                            Sorry, I don´t know if any speciallized reference book on this badge exists. Maybe somebody here can help us.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregorio Torres View Post
                              Here is an example just like Adren's. http://www.worldwarmilitaria.com/for...92&postcount=1

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X