Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rare FM badges

Hi everyone,

Here's a link to a few questions around the FM abzeichen I have...

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...69#post4320369

Thanks for looking.

Regards, Wim
    Freedom is not for Free

What is the max number of digits found on FM pin numbers? Five or six digits?

Comment

Hi Joe,

From everything I have on file, I can only see 5 digits. The lowest number that I saw is an alpha "C 942" in my own collection. Intersting is that this pin has a flat reverse face. It doesn't have the round recess for soldering the pin plate. I suppose latter alpha "C, s"do have this feature ?

Regards, Wim
      Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Wim, that seems to be the number, though I thought I saw a six digit number on Raymond's site. But I can't find it now. I was theorizing the purpose of the alpha numbering, using a matched Mitgliedsbuch and FM pin as a starting place.

I thought that because of the size limitation of the pin, the SS-Verwaltungsamt went to an alpha sequence to provide an easy multiplication of the numbering system. But it is obvious that to reach the million plus numbers of members, the badges would have to have an alpha six digit configuration.

I have reviewed earlier posts on this site and found none with six digits, but I did find an "X" alpha series. But with only five digits, the membership list would only reach 260 000.
        So the alpha application has some other meaning.

Any other combination membership books and issue pins out there?

Comment

Wim, I found this thread over at the GD.Com site. It is very informative.

http://forum.germandaggers.com/ubbth...=197126&page=1

Comment

Many thanks for that link, Joe. Have to register myself again over there!!!

Did you really saw an example marked with an alpha "X"?? First time I hear from that letter.

Your not the only one who breaks his head about the alpha codes. I already contacted Wilhelm Saris in hope he could dig it out. But he has so many works with his books.

Regards, Wim
            Freedom is not for Free

Comment

There is an X alpha on that link I provided.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeW View Post
                There is an X alpha on that link I provided.
                Is it possible that you mixed it up with the "K"?
                The following apha series exist: A, C, D, E, F, H, J, K, L & S.
                Especially the "J" a never saw by real or in a picture.

Regards, Wim
                Freedom is not for Free

Comment

I went through the link again. It must have been a "K" Wim. Sorry for the confusion.

Looking at John Pepera's membership book, the owner had a 923000 range membership number and had joined in 1937. Mine joined in 1938 and received a 1 400 000 range number. Either the SS-VA was overstating it membership numbers or the FM enjoyed an explosive growth.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeW View Post
                    I went through the link again. It must have been a "K" Wim. Sorry for the confusion.

Looking at John Pepera's membership book, the owner had a 923000 range membership number and had joined in 1937. Mine joined in 1938 and received a 1 400 000 range number. Either the SS-VA was overstating it membership numbers or the FM enjoyed an explosive growth.
                    That's weird if you lay it next to a text that I once found from -I believe it was Raymond- an that says the following:

The organization had reached its memebrship peak by the mid-1930's and than started to go into decline. By 1936, Oswald Pohl in a report stated that it could be no longer ve relied upon the provide a significant revenue stream of the SS

Regards, Wim
                    Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Well, the membership numbers from the books seem to indicate membership growth. If Pohl's report did concern the FM program, maybe the level of participation was declining or something. But the membership book is original and that is the FM number.

Comment

The originality of your book and pin are not taken in any doubt, Joe.

What catched my eye now is how low numbered that alpha "L" badge is compared to the serial number of the book. It must all have a simply logical explenation but I guess we simply fail to see it.

I always thought the codes where something that was going out from the Deschler firm itself but now I'm more convinced that it was rahter something from the office who was responsible for the distribution of these awards.

If I got it right, the serial number on an SS-zivilabzeichen was also something that was decided by the SS organization?

Regards, Wim

PS : No others besides me an Joe have an opinion?
                        Freedom is not for Free

Comment

I agree that the membership number and the pin number seems low. But FM members were obligated to return the pin and membership book upon cancelling their subscription, whereupon their pin could be reissued to a higher membership number.

You are correct about the SS-Zivilabzeichen. The number on that was from a consecutive list maintained by the SS-Personalamt.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X